Author Topic: Ed Beach (EdBeach)  (Read 762 times)

EdBeach

• Letter
Ed Beach (EdBeach)
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
Background: I've worked in radio news, sports broadcasting and public relations. I spent eight in professional sports working in the minor league level of baseball with the Toronto Blue Jays and St. Louis Cardinals organizations and in professional hockey with a Washington Capitals affiliate.

In addition, I spent a year in the NBA's developmental league in the 1990s. I'm currently the assistant athletics director at a small college where I handle business partnerships, coordinate a broadcast network, serve as play-by-play broadcaster and oversee all department communications with area and national media. I'm also an adjunct faculity member teaching classes in broadcasting, sports journalism and public speaking.

I am new to screenwriting and penned three short scripts, a TV pilot script and am working on a feature screenplay.

Genre or preferred Genre: Comedy / dramedy

Experience/Projects: Bobby Botelli, GM (a television pilot script) placed third in the TVWriter.net contest, The People's Pilot.

Links to your work: pending

Coverage: upon request

Contact Details: eusportspxp@yahoo.com and twitter: @euvoice
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:46:05 AM by EdBeach »

Alex

• One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
Re: Ed Beach
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »
Hey Ed,

Glad you found this section as most members have bypassed it to date or didn't realize it exists.
Here's the link for those that want to post. http://forum.writerarena.com/index.php/board,25.0.html

I guess it is a good tool for members at WA to showcase their work and their experience and put-up a few links to promote themselves.

Keep at it !!!!

Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Pia

• Global Moderator
Re: Ed Beach (EdBeach)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:11:43 AM »
I bet you could write a kickass baseball script!  Thanks for posting.   8)

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:31:13 AM »
Alex- I saw this section right away and just didn't get to it until now. I kept meaning to post something but between being busy and not remembering to, I just now caught up.

And Pia...maybe. I'm not sure about kickass. I'd settle for slapcheek. Here's my problem- I've got great stories from baseball (stuff that really happened), but they're just random stories. At some point maybe I'll develop a character(s) and a plot and weave those stories together. I haven't concentrated on it too much but I haven't envisioned anything coming together yet. Sometime I should just write down some of craziness I experienced, witnessed or was a part of, then come back to it later and see what happens.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:15:15 AM »
If it's fiction and you're just using some ideas from your experiences, then you can combine them too. I like sports movies actually, believe it or not. Most people think of me as a hack n slash creepy type movie lover, but I do like other stuff too. I even tell people I HATE rom-coms, but I watched Tin Cup last night and realized how good it was. Well written and great characters. :)

Hawkeye

• Letter
  • Say my name
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »
Most people think of me as a hack

Never!!

Ed, the old "write what you know" theorem translates to pretty much any medium, including screenwriting.  Writing a kickass, or slapstick, or whatever script about any type of sport is a great entry point into a full length feature, because (a) you're writing about something you love, and (b) you're writing about something you know. that can't help but make it authentic and something audiences can appreciate.

Gary
No more half-measures.
No more half-measures.

Alex

• One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
Alex- I saw this section right away and just didn't get to it until now. I kept meaning to post something but between being busy and not remembering to, I just now caught up.

No worries mate.

Take a look at mine as I have put WA and dropbox links to my work and it gives you an idea of what can be done.
I have also put the link to my work in my signature under every post I make.

I tried using the code from SS though it didn't work so I started from scratch... If you want the code I used let me know and I will send it to you.

I feel your post may have prompted a few others to follow suit. Hint Hint

Regards Alex
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:22:27 PM by Alex »

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »
Writing what I know is pretty much all I CAN do right now. I'd love to do a spy thriller or a spec script for something like FX's The Americans. I don't have those tools. At this point, I have to stick with things I've seen and / or experienced. 

I started writing scripts because of an idea I had for a TV show and that's set in the pro basketball world. The feature I started writing is a true story that's a forgotten piece of college football history. After I did a lot of research and started writing it, I learned it's probably a terrible idea for a film (period piece, a bizzare over-the-top ending, and a famous figure that's portrayed as a total whack-job...because he WAS a whack-job). But it's more for a writing sample anyway, it's a really fun story to tell and it may work as a decent contest entry. My short scripts are all stuff that's happened to me or witnessed (one was actually a dream I had).

To me, the best sports films only have the sports as a backdrop. They are really about something else. Tin Cup isn't really about a guy coming from nowhere to win the US Open. And Moneyball wasn't about making a case for on-base percentage being more important than someone's batting average. I hope I can write something that people see is about more than a struggle to win a game or a championship.

Pia, if you're a hack then that makes me a shlub that can barely type a sentence. Ron Shelton wrote Tin Cup and he is good at what he does. I've liked about everything he's written. And (it was way before my time) but he played minor league baseball in the Orioles system.

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Thanks Alex. I'll take that code. I didn't have similar links going to SS so I probably start that here.

Thanks!

Alex

• One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
Thanks Alex. I'll take that code. I didn't have similar links going to SS so I probably start that here.

Thanks!

Sent to your email address.