Author Topic: US Gun Laws  (Read 1217 times)

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
US Gun Laws
« on: October 02, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
Hey guys,

I am going of on a tangent from the usual post on this site and was wondering with all the media we get here in "OZ",
regarding the US gun laws, what's the US residents attitude towards them, and is it hyped up by your media ???

I am not sure if it is really exaggerated by the media or is it a daily occurrence in the US for the media to report on all the violence we see in our news, including school shootings, drive by shootings and traffic light shootings etc....

I also was wondering how you feel personally about carrying a piece on you? I know if everyone else carries a gun, then you would have the need to carry one to protect yourself should something happen. I probably would !!! Though if no one else had one then I wouldn't.

For those who carry one, I assume a discreet AK47 in your boot (oops... trunk in the US) would be sufficient and a 9mm in your purse/waist belt?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Regards Alex
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:09:10 PM by Alex »
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Pia

• Global Moderator
Re: US Gun Laws
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
Guns are not legal in Sweden, but I read about shootings every day there. Only the bad guys have guns though...

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
I have mixed feelings on this. I live the Midwest and in a conceal-and-carry state. When I worked in professional sports, my organization lobbied hard against the passing of a conceal-and-carry law because they foresaw the installation of metal detectors at all the entrances of the stadium (like at airports) and thought that would send a negative message to fans coming in. The law passed anyway and shortly after that 9/11 happened so such things at large public venues were no big deal very quickly.

I have a lot of friends and family that have their conceal-and-carry permit. I don't have a problem with that and what it takes in my state to get one seems appropriate.

What doesn't get much media attention is that laws really don't matter when it comes to gun violence. The city of Chicago has some of the most stringent gun control laws in the country but the violence there and murder rate with firearms is among the worst in the country. I guess if criminals would just understand the law...

The mass shootings (like the theater in the Denver and the school last December) get a lot of attention but they represent a very small percentage of gun violence per year. At the same time, you find out about the shooters in those cases and wonder how and why they owned those firearms. I don't understand how, after Columbine in '98, we still allow weapons sold at gun shows / expos with barely any or no registrations required. It seems there should be more restrictions and more background checks. While there are differing opinions on what (if anything) should banned or not, almost everybody agrees on more extensive background checks and the gun show issue. Yet nothing gets done there.

I guess I'm pro-gun (even though I don't own one) but I'm like some common sense applied to the issue for once.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
Guns are not legal in Sweden, but I read about shootings every day there. Only the bad guys have guns though...

Thanks Pia, so are these guns available on the black market in Sweden? I assume they are rushed across the borders somehow?
At least if a person in Sweden was carrying a gun they can probably be arrested for it, same as in OZ, though here it is organized crime that have these weapons and a psycho has much trouble getting one especially if he wants to go on a rampage.

I don't understand how, after Columbine in '98, we still allow weapons sold at gun shows / expos with barely any or no registrations required. It seems there should be more restrictions and more background checks. While there are differing opinions on what (if anything) should banned or not, almost everybody agrees on more extensive background checks and the gun show issue. Yet nothing gets done there.

I guess I'm pro-gun (even though I don't own one) but I'm like some common sense applied to the issue for once.

Would the reason that these weapons are made easily available, simply be because the people that sell them have a large influence on the leaders in the political system? After all it is big business with huge profits to be made? Just curious?

Alex

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:22:07 PM by Alex »

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »
Not necessarily. The health care lobby was huge and they got run over a couple of years ago like a skunk on an interstate highway.

Like a lot of things, the issue ends up getting twisted and it affects public opinion. People hear "restrictions" and think "bans." One side wants to take things too far, the other side doesn't want to move at all. We're in a polarized climate in the states right now...neither side wants to work with each other. This is just one of several issues where no compromise is likely at the moment.  There are some instances when I'm all for not compromising...the right thing should prevail and not be watered down. For issues where public safety is concerned, though, you'd think people work together for something that would make sense.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
For issues where public safety is concerned, though, you'd think people work together for something that would make sense.

I think that may be the critical issue. How many people have to die before they realize they need a compromise ?

Does it vary significantly from state to state ? I assume some of the Southern states may be more against restrictions?

Alex

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »
It does vary on the states to a degree. In my state, you can carry a concealed a weapon if you have a permit. You can pretty much take it anywhere as a result unless there is a sign on the building that says weapons are prohibitted. I always think those are funny at the bank...like some guy that's going to rob a bank, sees the sign and gets all upset..."how am I supposed to rob this place now?!" Or he ignores the sign and the teller gets all upset with the criminal: "...didn't you see the sign on the door?"

Oddly enough, though, you don't have to have a permit to actually purchase a gun. Just some ID.

I'm not sure if the south leads against restrictions. Some western states seem very entrenched against restrictions / bans.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 12:04:02 AM »
Don't assume things about the south!

My daughter and her husband lived in North Dakota for 4 years. There, pretty much half the population are carrying at all times according to them. They have a VERY low crime rate, although it has increased some lately due to the oil and gas business are bringing in a lot of "roughnecks".

denamckinnon

• Word
  • Be nice, or I'll turn you into a frog.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 01:18:48 AM »
I carry. And I'm a very good shot, so don't piss me off. ;)

A gun is only as dangerous as the person carrying it. At the rate our government is buying up ammunition, there won't be any available to regular citizens in the future(unless of course you have a reloader).

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »

I have a pink revolver, Dena. I don't carry it with me though. I have Guinness...  :P

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 04:17:00 AM »
Wait a minute!

It's already established that Dena can turn out scripts in the time it takes most of us to get dressed in the morning.
I found out on here she also paints. And now I learn she shoots like Annie Oakley?!

Is it a matter of time that I read you'll be named as starting quarterback for the Jaguars? Or have built something that will revive NASA? I'm not sure anything would surprise me at this point.

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »

A gun is only as dangerous as the person carrying it. At the rate our government is buying up ammunition, there won't be any available to regular citizens in the future(unless of course you have a reloader).

Wait a minute!

It's already established that Dena can turn out scripts in the time it takes most of us to get dressed in the morning.
I found out on here she also paints. And now I learn she shoots like Annie Oakley?!

Is it a matter of time that I read you'll be named as starting quarterback for the Jaguars? Or have built something that will revive NASA? I'm not sure anything would surprise me at this point.

:D :D

As many of you may know, I am originally from South Africa, a country that is so badly riddled in crime that many people have opted to leave (like myself). I can't say I have any in-depth knowledge of what things are like in the United States, so if I make any ignorant comments, be sure to point them out, will ya? The South African gun laws, from what I can tell are only slightly different from the laws in the US. Again, I have limited understanding and I don't think that crime rates in the USA are nearly as bad as in SA, but quite frankly guns in environments like this are needed.

Take my Dad, for example, who in South Africa carried a small pistol (don't ask about the make, model and accuracy and all that, 'cause I have no idea). He claimed on countless occasions that it was for protection and it was. I have a few memories of hearing gun shots outside my house, where Dad would immediately go and get his own gun. He would sleep with it under his pillow, firstly to prevent it from being stolen and secondly to offer protection if there were any home-invaders who popped in for a visit (yes, that happened once, too). He's also been held up by gun-point three times, all in moments where he didn't have his gun on him. However, despite all these instances, the only thing he ever actually shot was a target in a gun range.

Like in the States, mass shootings are too common in South Africa. It's not hard to come buy assault rifles in gun stores and like in the United States, the government maintains that people deserve to own a gun for protection. But, in my ignorant, young opinion an assault rifle is not a gun commonly used for protection. It is a gun designed for assault, for attacking people. It is a weapon used by the military. Why would there ever be a need to put this in the hands of a citizen? Yes, there is that need for protection, but an assault rifle, to me, seems to be taking that too far.

Just my opinion. By all means, protect yourself with a gun, but don't make it one designed for mass shootings. That, in my opinion, is asking for trouble.

Dan

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 08:04:31 AM »
It's a very simple issue. You have to be able to defend yourself because no one else will be able to, if the need comes around.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
It's a very simple issue. You have to be able to defend yourself because no one else will be able to, if the need comes around.

Hey Sean,

Yes you need it for protection, especially considering others are also packing a six shooter.

My question is:- If no one else was carrying one, would you need it then ?

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
People would find other weapons. Maybe a knife can't kill a lot of people, but a bomb can and recipes are all available online. Sadly...