Author Topic: Babz Buzz 028  (Read 1780 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Babz Buzz 028
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
In this edition Babz talks about:

Why?
Morphine
Cliché Finder
Carson Reeves
Plot Twists
WGA Stats
Coverage
43 ways to Finance Your Feature Film by John Cones
Overview of Film Finance
The Art of Adaptation: Turning Fact and Fiction into Film by Linda Seger
How to develop script ideas
Finding your voice for the page
We see/We hear
Tarantino
Jack Reacher (One Shot)
The Pot Thief

Listen to the podcast here

Nybabz

• Babz
Re: Babz Buzz 028
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:20:18 PM »
TO THE FANS OF THE SHOW; I am sorry about the microphone and once more I must shop.

In addition, please know that while all the boards are amazing and gracious, there is that rare individual who, when I turn that person down, rips me a new one.

It matters not how polite I am. It matters not how many times I can say 'don't read into this.'

Some fans do not 'see' me as a business person. That presents I think a certain shortcoming on my part. I simply must find a way to present this as a business to folks - I have to do my job better.

For the record; I only make comments when I'm given permission and NEVER before.

But when I do that, again, (it's rare) they 'verbally' kill the messenger. This happens to Brian at screenplay readers from time to time.

I will keep trying to up my game and in the meantime, suggestions welcome.

I do realize there it is that rare person, and there are not many, who simply freak. I can take it, but it's so hard. Because if they knew how MUCH I wanted them to succeed, especially on my watch, they would cry tears of joy and buy the next round.

Hugs and love, respectfully, BABZ

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
TO THE FANS OF THE SHOW; I am sorry about the microphone and once more I must shop.

Just a thought !!!! Why don't you linkup with a local radio station and use their sound booth and gear ?
I'm sure they may be amicable in return for a plug on your show or a link somewhere down the track. Only a phone call away.

Some fans do not 'see' me as a business person. That presents I think a certain shortcoming on my part. I simply must find a way to present this as a business to folks - I have to do my job better.

I really do see you as a business person first and foremost, and secondly as a nice lady who speaks her mind.

As a writer, I would not waste your time by pitching to you unless I was prepared to sign that script with you. Many writers will want feedback and in return offer nothing.
IT'S BUSINESS GUYS AND IF SOMEONE SCRATCHED YOUR BACK YOU HAVE TO RETURN THE FAVOR.....

I am a big believe that persistence pays and without constantly pushing the limits, very little can be gained.
(Hence my opinion on calling a radio station above, reinforces this.) No harm asking the question as you might be surprised with the answer.
If you cant find a radio station that will help out, let me know and I will get one for you. I am a great negotiator.

Good luck Barbara, you are a valued contributor to the industry.
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 04:59:31 AM »
A new Buzz already??!!

It's like my birthday's come early!

You actually don't need a radio station. Unless you know somebody and they're willing to assist and do you some favors, but it's not quite that easy. Studio time runs tight and spills over business hours almost every day (in most U.S. markets there are 5 or 6 stations run out of one office and that keeps production studios crazy-busy). And then you'd have to have an engineer and that's another fee. Even you knew how to run the board and record the session yourself, stations would insist on a board op...they're paranoid that way.

A mic / headset, sound board, and digital recorder than can save .mp3 or .wav files and you've got yourself a podcast for a couple hundred bucks (and that's a one-time equipment purchase).

Thanks for show...especially if this, for whatever reason, is Bonus Babz!

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
This is indeed a business and even though I've only glimpsed a small part of, that has become VERY clear to me. As much as some people like to think it's all about art and bringing art to the screen, it's not. t's like any other business, make a product that sells so you can stay in business and maybe even grow.

And you, Babz, are most definitely a business woman and you have helped me loads already. I just hope that one day, it will pay off for you...but, I'm an optimistic person, so, I believe it will happen.   :) ;) 8) :P   

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »
Dear Pia, Ed and Alex; THANK YOU SO MUCH. Ed, the link for the headsets is cool, I will look at that. Pia, you are making me so proud, regardless! Keep on. You're so smart, so bright! The world would be lucky to see your work in the right way. Alex, thanks for the wind in my sails, always a delight. Keep on keepin on. We will have fun, no matter what! Will we sweat? Well. Yeah. Sigh. It's ok. Burns calories. MUCHO HUGS! bb

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:58:34 AM »
Finally got myself a free moment. This show worked well overall, despite the sound issues. You could easily make out most of it so it wasn't a huge issue. Kinda liked the second act of this one, myself. You went on and on about One Shot for quite a while, while still branching out so that was good stuff. As for a Jack Reacher replacement, I never read the books but I once heard someone refer to it as Robert Mitchum's intensity mixed with Gene Hackman's screen presence. They didn't list off a look, just that, so I have no clue. Then, we got into that whole thing of your characters "talking" to you and basically writing the dialogue themselves. Never experienced that. I think I need better characters. Does the Babz have any suggestions on how you write things you don't know about (besides research)? Lol.

Anyway, another solid outing, although I do think I liked 27 a bit better. Had a better start to it and held its momentum better. Looking forward to 29. =)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 05:39:14 AM »
THANK YOU!

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »
Does the Babz have any suggestions on how you write things you don't know about (besides research)? Lol.

Sorry for stealing your thunder Babz and commenting back on this.

Sean, I spent over 3 years researching serial killers for a psychological thriller that I collaborated with Dan on.
After many discussions with Dan, I finally got him into the correct mindset of how a Serial Killer thinks and acts and this was reflected in work and does make it feel realistic.

I am currently researching "Neuroscience" for a current feature I am working on. A University lecturer discusses the topic with students so it needs to be accurate and come across professional. (No rest for me ATM)

Truth is you have to know enough about the topic so that it comes across to the general public feeling realistic, then that will suffice.

There's no substitute for knowledge.

Babz, really enjoyed 028 as it did feel much different to the previous ones. The "Mic" did cut in and out a few times though wasn't annoying.

Regards Alex
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:32:43 PM by Alex Sarris »

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
Wait a minute... It took three years to properly explain the mindset of a serial killer? You have about as good of describing skills as I do. Of course, I'm kidding, but I like it when people go in depth with research.

Neuroscience, eh? You doing the next "Primer"?

I know the benefits of research, but in this case, it's not exactly the type of thing that's in books. I'll figure it out with time, though. =)

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
as usual, good stuff. good community!

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
Josh Holloway of TV's "Lost" would make a terrific Jack Reacher. I love the books and Josh matches the description better than Cruise does, plus he's a great actor. Think he was in MI3 with Cruise, not sure.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 07:18:11 AM »
will look him up. How'd I miss that?
Josh Holloway of TV's "Lost" would make a terrific Jack Reacher. I love the books and Josh matches the description better than Cruise does, plus he's a great actor. Think he was in MI3 with Cruise, not sure.
ahhh!!!