Author Topic: Anyone here speak spanish?  (Read 726 times)

Pia

• Global Moderator
Anyone here speak spanish?
« on: September 06, 2013, 02:56:13 AM »
Is there anyone here that speaks spanish? Mexican spanish, to be exact.  I need some help.   :D

Dave Troop

• Clause
Re: Anyone here speak spanish?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:35:31 AM »
SOUNDS of CRICKETS CHIRPING...

Sorry,  Pia...just a bunch of Aussies here.  Try Movie Poet.  We 're always correcting grammar mistakes over there.
Good luck....
Wait a minute.  You 're in Florida and can't find anyone who knows Spanish?

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »
Yo no hablo espanol.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
Yeah, there are lots of people in Florida that speak spanish, but my first thought was to ask writer friends, not stop people on the street and ask them how to say foul stuff in spanish.  :D

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »
If you still need some help with it, I might know someone who can help.   Just let me know what you want translated.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »
I don't really need anything translated. It's more like getting it to be authentic. I've learned that all spanish is not the same and a word wrong here or there will give it away as Puerto Rican or Cuban instead of Mexican and things like that. And no, I'm not writing again, just touching something up because I had promised someone.  :)

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:17:03 AM »
I don't really need anything translated. It's more like getting it to be authentic. I've learned that all spanish is not the same and a word wrong here or there will give it away as Puerto Rican or Cuban instead of Mexican and things like that.

So true. The Venezuealan Spanish I grew up with and which, sadly, mostly now alludes me, is considerably different from the Spanish spoken in PR or Mexico or Spain. Lots of localized slang and even proper words that would go over the heads of other Spanish-speaking peeps. Just consider the various forms of English in the world. When a Brit uses the loo or the tube or the boot of their car, most Americans are clueless as to what they're talking about. Even syntax is hyper specialized here in the STates. Here in NE there are dozens of versions of the "Boston" or "New England" accent. Then you get to NY, where all the boroughs have their own specialized sound in language.

Consider that in MA, a long sandwich with whatever coldcuts you like is typically called a Sub. In CT it's a grinder--don't know why. It's also called a hero in other locales and there's one other name I can't remember right now.

Good like, Pia. If your story involves Mexicans, you are doing yourself a favor in searching out Mexican-Spanish-speaking peeps versus the other flavors of Spanish.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:41:23 AM »
Julio from SS gave me a hand so I think I have it taken care.  :)

Good to see you here as well Manowar!  8)