Author Topic: TV shows to binge on.  (Read 958 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
TV shows to binge on.
« on: September 02, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
It wasn't long ago that Kevin Spacey defended the binge-watching of television drama shows and urged executives to give people what they want.  And sure I like to go on a TV show binge every so often and do a marathon watch of a season or two or some show.    As Kevin said, usually the drama's are best for bingeing.   Here's a thread to document some of the shows you think are good for watching in one sitting.

The latest I've watched - Boardwalk Empire - is the chronicle of a fictional crime boss of Atlantic City during the prohibition but it based on a real character of the time.  The pilot episode of this series was directed by Martin Scorsese, reason enough to watch it by itself.  The boss is played by Steve Buscemi which is another reason to watch, for those of you that are fans.  It features fairly intricate and deep story lines  exploring the strange characters involved.  It also weaves in a number of historical figures and some other historical trivia of the time period.  Each episode I seem to learn something about the 1920s that I never knew before.   So, it's a good watch if you're looking for your next binge.       

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:22:10 AM by Writer Arena »

Pia

• Global Moderator
Re: TV shows to binge on.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
Love Kevin Spacey, so when I was looking for a new TV series to watch on Netflix while spending time on the treadmill, I started watching House Of Cards. It's a Netflix original series starring Kevin Spacey. It's about politics in Washington. It's rated almost FIVE!!! full stars. It's really really good and actually made me forget I was even on the treadmill, which I consider a torture device. I think it won some Emmys too. 8)

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:27:46 PM »
Suits. I'm home sick at the moment and I just can't get enough of the show. Cleared the first season yesterday and I'm well into the second today. I need to be studying for exams as well, so now really isn't the time to start bingeing. Oh well, there's always tomorrow  :P

Danny

• Word
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
Boardwalk Empire, absolutely off the hook, never watch just a single episode, always in 3's and 4's. Dam good Television

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
I first binge-watched with "Lost" last year. When it originally aired it looked like the type of show I'd like but conflicts with other shows airing at the time and my night work schedule prevented me from watching it as it aired. Once I discovered it on NF, fagetaboutit! Loved it. Watched at least two, sometimes as many as four episodes per sitting. Completed the series in two months. Despite lackluster final two seasons, still consider it one of my three favorite all-time series ("Sopranos" #1, of course). I'd put up the first season as some of the best TV writing ever, if not THE best.

Binged on "House of Cards" earlier this year--love it, can't wait for season 2. Currently starting my binge on another NF production, "Orange is the New Black." So far, very riveting.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
I never watched Stargate-SG1 so I decided to give it a try.  I liked the show, it's fun sci-fi though it was a bit repetitive -- but not in a bad way.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that it tended to get a bit meta at times.  However, it was an ok show for a binge so I decided to give its spin offs a try.   Stargate-Atlantis was a bit of fun -- much like SG1 but with worse acting.   I wasn't too sure if I wanted to watch Stargate-Universe because I got the feeling it was going to get military but I gave it a try anyway. 

To my surprise SGU was an excellent show reminiscent of Lost (and a number of reviews say it's more like Battlestar - Galactica which I haven't seen).   However, for the most part it was a moody, deep, and dark scifi/drama.  Very different from the original Stargates.  I highly recommend it for bingeing and say if you like Lost then you would probably like SGU.  It not a perfect show, it gets a bit repetitive (not necessarily in a good way) and spends a bit too much time on Earth, but it's well worth the watch. 

Jeffro

• Punctuation
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:59 PM »
Comedy - CHEERS
I like my TV Comedy Shows like I like my pizza... with beer.

Adventure/Fantasy - GAME OF THRONES
A huge fan of the book series for many years and was surprised at how the show stayed true to the novels.

Dramady - WONDER YEARS
I still have a crush on Winnie Cooper (Danica McKellar).

Horror - WALKING DEAD
Developed a scoring method for each zombie kill (originality, difficulty, effectiveness, cleanliness etc.)

Mystery - MURDER, SHE WROTE
The "Agatha Christie" of the 1980's and 1990's (Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher) who just happens to "walk in" on murders (wherever she goes) and avoids being investigated by the FBI (as a possible serial killer).

;) 8) :P ;D

Dave Troop

• Clause
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 01:32:06 AM »
Will probably watch Season 2 of Veep while my computer battery is charging.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 05:41:07 AM »
I still have a soft spot for MASH

Danny

• Word
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »
Adventure/Fantasy - GAME OF THRONES
A huge fan of the book series for many years and was surprised at how the show stayed true to the novels.

Horror - WALKING DEAD
Developed a scoring method for each zombie kill (originality, difficulty, effectiveness, cleanliness etc.)

;) 8) :P ;D

Game of Thrones blew me away, "Adventure/fantasy" for sure but also a strong political theme which has been written so cleverly.

No1 show of all time, and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, The Sopranos.

The Walking Dead, I had very low expectations when I began watching but I was impressed that a strong realistic element of human behaviour is represented. Love the show. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:28:04 PM by Danny »

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
I watch so much TV that unfortunately I missed out on some great shows because my DVR could only recrod so many. As I result, I've binge-watched a few lately and am glad I did. Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica (the 2000s one), and The Shield are absolutely phenomenal and not only great learning devices for a writer, but just plain great entertainment.