Author Topic: Screenwriters Anonymous  (Read 1525 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Screenwriters Anonymous
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
A new board has been added to provide a support network for those screenwriters who have given up on screenwriting or those who are taking a break from screenwriting.   Use it as you will.

Pia

• Global Moderator
Re: Screenwriters Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:09:14 AM »
I don't think I have the guts to post anything yet. I showed my first effort to someone and I guess it wasn't pretty.  :D

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:17:45 AM »
That's because it wasn't me, Pia. I'm very nice because I can make anyone feel better by explaining how the faults in my writing are so much worse. =)

As for giving up on screenwriting, it is a smart decision. There are no smart screenwriters because if they were, they'd be writing something else. That said, it's a hobby like any other so there's no reason to be consumed by it. =)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

denamckinnon

• Word
  • Be nice, or I'll turn you into a frog.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:41:10 AM »
It is a hobby...but one must weigh the rewards from such hobby. If we get to see some of our work produced, that's great! And if we get paid, well, that's even better. BUT when a person slaves over a keyboard, it's a very lonely life, quite solitary, and if you really work 8 hours a day like most do at normal jobs, it just can make you begin to resent something that you love, when it feels like you aren't really going anywhere. I've been at it...will be two years in October, and it's already easy to feel the cold bite of reality...but I just keep putting on more socks. :) And mittens of course!

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:31:17 AM »
It is a hobby...but one must weigh the rewards from such hobby. If we get to see some of our work produced, that's great! And if we get paid, well, that's even better. BUT when a person slaves over a keyboard, it's a very lonely life, quite solitary, and if you really work 8 hours a day like most do at normal jobs, it just can make you begin to resent something that you love, when it feels like you aren't really going anywhere. I've been at it...will be two years in October, and it's already easy to feel the cold bite of reality...but I just keep putting on more socks. :) And mittens of course!

Hey Dena,

You got it RIGHT girl by calling it a HOBBY.

Guys don't give up your day jobs just yet !!!!

Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:32:46 AM »
I was working 5-6 hrs/day 7 days/week towards the end. And for what? Really? I've had a lot of fun doing other things lately though, so all is good.  8)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:43:44 PM by Pia »

Khamanna

• Word
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
I've had a lot of fun doing other things lately though, so all is good.  8)

Is it dancing? Because if it's dancing I can totally understand! I hope it's dancing...

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:59 AM »
I don't think I have the guts to post anything yet. I showed my first effort to someone and I guess it wasn't pretty.  :D

By "first effort" I assume you mean your first-ever screenplay? Don't sweat it. I don't know anyone whose first script was brilliant, or even good. Mine was barely readable. It was a detective story and I used every cliche known to man because that's what I thought people wanted to read. So look at it like this, Pia: you "made your bones." Welcome to the club.

The enjoyment I get out of this hobby (which I would love to turn into a career) is that feeling of getting "in the zone" when I first start a story. Very few things in life provide that kind of rush. The rewrites suck but are a necessary evil. Then there's the satisfaction of having the final product--even if eventually I realize it isn't any good. The ultimate rush for me in this hobby, is the challenge to get better. All those times before when I slaved (with a word processor!) for hours only to be told how horrible my stories were... well, that was very deflating. But I realize that was a necessary part of the process to kick me in the butt and force me to rethink things, learn from my mistakes, and try to get better.

I don't have anything produced, sold, or optioned, but I'm glad about where I am as a writer today compared to what I was years ago. That sense that I've grown or got better is worth the pain I suffered before. Some people play video games and live to beat their personal best scores. I do the same, but instead of an X-box, I do it with writing.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:47:35 AM by Manowar »

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »
As for giving up on screenwriting, it is a smart decision. There are no smart screenwriters because if they were, they'd be writing something else. That said, it's a hobby like any other so there's no reason to be consumed by it. =)

Hey Sean,

Have to disagree with that statement. Screenwriters are very intelligent people though screenwriting can be compared to winning "LOTTO" only a very very very small percentage get through and once they do the rewards are amazing in comparison to the effort for each piece of work.

Read this wiki page and scroll down to the "HISTORY OF SCREENWRITER'S PAY" Wow if some of that is not enticing then I don't know what is !!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenwriter's_salary

Nothing beats dedication and hard work though really that alone is not enough. You need a incredible imagination (very sick mind) a degree in Marketing, a degree in Finance, a degree in Law and throw in a SH** Heap of luck.

Chances of getting through :- http://www.screenwriterunknown.com/screenwriting-observations/odds-of-selling-a-spec-screenplay

Enjoy the above

Regards Alex
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:14:15 AM by Alex »

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:23:39 PM »
Read this wiki page and scroll down to the "HISTORY OF SCREENWRITER'S PAY" Wow if some of that is not enticing then I don't know what is !!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenwriter's_salary

The chances of making that much on a screenplay is about the same chance as winning the jackpot on a lottery.   Plus, I don't think you have the remotest chance of making that much on a screenplay if you're just getting your start and you're over 40.   

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »
The chances of making that much on a screenplay is about the same chance as winning the jackpot on a lottery.   Plus, I don't think you have the remotest chance of making that much on a screenplay if you're just getting your start and you're over 40.   

Agreed Michael, It's a big ask !!!! Though maybe a 0.02% chance does give some hope.

We can only dream as the alternative is giving up and it's difficult to do when you have a passion.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »
Getting a payoff like the ones in wikipedia is probably more like 0.000969%.   And I'm not saying it so people will be discouraged, just so they'll be realistic.  If you love screenwriting then you should do it for that satisfaction.  The money may or more likely may not come - but if you're happy doing it and you're doing it for the right reasons then you shouldn't be disappointed either way.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 05:34:10 AM »
Arrrrrhhhh.

Thought I would bump this as I am about to bloody well give up, ******* final draft/computer etc. I have just lost three drafts in a row. Luckily I printed one off so I have a hard copy which helps a tad.

Not sure why it's happened,  my computer seems to to be having a few 'moments' but I think I have probably thrown in a senior moment as well.

I've been focusing on a revised, fuller version of 'know thyself' and it is generally going well, except for.....oh well.

I'm just keen to start developing a new 'biggie short' for the competition circuit. Is going to be slow going at this rate.

Mo

• Word
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
Thought I would bump this as I am about to bloody well give up, ******* final draft/computer etc. I have just lost three drafts in a row. Luckily I printed one off so I have a hard copy which helps a tad.

Similar damn thing happened to me yesterday with a draft of a feature. Luckily, I saved the script as a pdf, but I needed a specific scene in it, so instead of just copying and pasting the scene in a new file, I decided to delete everything but the scene and not save the file - just cause I'm lazy... But as I was saving it as a pdf - writing my script's name, the automatic save thing popped up, and apparently, if you bloody press your spacebar while writing the name of the stupid thing, it counts as an 'overwrite all 115 pages'. I suppose I could've lost everything, but now it's going to be a tedious mess trying to copy and paste everything across.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »

Hey Guys,

Buy a thumb drive or a portable hard-drive. They are pretty cheap now-a-days.

I usually have my work and 2 backups just to be sure as I could not imagine how I would feel if I lost months of effort.

Alex

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »
I think this is a great idea, coming here to vent about how tough this hobby/pursuit is for the writer. I think I'm going to start one for agents to come in an do this using an alias and it has to be a real alias so that no one can trace it back. and they couldn't use real client names but just a place to vent you know like: "man, I love this writer and this script and I pitched my heart out and all I heard was 'it's not EXACTLY' what we are looking for.'"

Now, what shall we call this AGENT'S STEAM ROOM HANG OUT?

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 04:05:33 PM »
A S R H O
H O A R S (LOL)
S H A R O
H A R O S
:)

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »
Now, what shall we call this AGENT'S STEAM ROOM HANG OUT?

How about "The Sodium Pentothal Room" or maybe just "The Pentothal Room"

For those not in the know, Sodium Pentothal is truth Serum.

Hee Hee

Steex

• Punctuation
  • See you at the party, Richter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »
Steam-room Hang-out Agent Time
or SHAT for short.  ;)
I'm not even supposed to be here today.
I'm not even supposed to be here today.

Jeremiah Johnson

• Letter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 12:03:08 AM »
I haven't posted on here or anywhere else in a while.  Work has taken my time and sucked my creative juices.  I am taking a couple of months off starting in May and hope to return to some writing.  I have been considering putting some of my screenplays to novels or short stories.  It seems like most of the movies made are from novels.  Even Silver Linings Playbook was from a first time novel writer and his first novel.  I'm going to stick my head in there and see how I do with my next story idea, but will also try to parallel it with a screenplay version.  I just hope my wife will leave me alone enough to get it done!!!

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 09:20:37 AM »
I haven't posted on here or anywhere else in a while.  Work has taken my time and sucked my creative juices.  I am taking a couple of months off starting in May and hope to return to some writing.  I have been considering putting some of my screenplays to novels or short stories.  It seems like most of the movies made are from novels.  Even Silver Linings Playbook was from a first time novel writer and his first novel.  I'm going to stick my head in there and see how I do with my next story idea, but will also try to parallel it with a screenplay version.  I just hope my wife will leave me alone enough to get it done!!!

Hey Jeremiah,

This is exactly what I am doing ATM. Nearly half way through a novel based on my screenplay, Evanesce.

Go for it.

Jeremiah Johnson

• Letter
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 03:02:05 AM »
Alex,

Thanks for the encouragement.  Not sure if I have the "chops" for novels.  The one I am going to start on, I don't have a screenplay for yet.  I will try to do them in tandem.  I'm going to go back and try to make novels and short stories out of all my screenplays.  I'm not getting any younger, so I might as well get them started and see where it takes me.

Overall, I just hope they turn out to be enjoyable reads.  You can't please everyone, but I'm going to write them my way for sure.  Good luck with yours!

JJ