Author Topic: From the desk of Babz  (Read 2851 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Re: From the desk of Babz
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
Here's an email I got from Babz that she asked me to post on the forum:

Hi, Gang!

Get to know LEE!

Click on the link and there's tons of material there, including the sensational PILAR! Many of you may already know her and if not you should. Lee and Pilar offer services that can help writers through the toughest of times when it comes to script.

Hugs on ya!

BABZ

NOTE: She didn't give me a link so maybe she might add one to this thread.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
Here's a link that Babz did send me but I don't think it goes with the email above:

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/meet-the-reader-what-makes-a-good-screenwriter-2

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »
Here's a link that Babz did send me but I don't think it goes with the email above:

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/meet-the-reader-what-makes-a-good-screenwriter-2
THANKS TEAM. bb

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 08:08:59 AM »
subtext translated: or is it just subterfuge:

http://www.youtube.com/user/officevideos

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 08:08:46 AM »
thanks babz - had a look at those.

The 'trying to sell your script' was an interning one.

I've just started working on what 'I' think is a killer idea. But...i don know if others will, and even if it is i need to extract the best story out of it so i need to keep focused on the story, characters, the rising tension, the pacing, the reveal etc Only then will i know whether my idea and my script had added up to a decent opportunity.

So what i took from the clip was a sense of not checking the numbers on your idea, rather try to find a decent idea, then write the story and at the end...you find out...maybe

cheers

Hawkeye

• Letter
  • Say my name
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
Babz, I saw this column by Lee Jessup:

http://www.leejessup.com/lee-s-blog/finding-representation-one-screenplay-enough/

Basically, the premise of the column was that a great screenplay might get you representation, but the reality is that to really get repped you need to have that second screenplay in your back pocket to show that you're not a "one-trick pony."  Do you agree with that premise?  Thanks for all you do and love the podcasts!

Gary
No more half-measures.
No more half-measures.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 04:24:08 AM »
COOL STUFF FROM FOLKS WHO DO, WELL, COOL STUFF:

FROM Craig Clyde, our client:
"It's a touching story of an orphan girl who is taken for a month at Christmas by a childless couple.  The little girl does not speak due to the accident who took her parents' lives.  The man and wife are having their own problems, not only with the barreness of their lives, the man has just lost his job so he's out of work.  The little girl only communicates through one word notes.  It's really very touching and has a surprise ending.  What's more interesting, the man who wrote it is my plumber!  He wrote it for his daughters the year his business failed.  It's a work of fiction but based on solid characters."

THIS WILL BE ON KICKSTARTER. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED. BB

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
Don't tell me you can't trim your script.
BB

From http://curious.com/

Theodore Geisel saved modern story time thanks to a few bets. In the 1950's, early-reader children's books consisted mostly of repetitive "primer" books like Dick and Jane using stories involving unnaturally clean and polite children doing ordinary things. One evening a struggling children's author, Theodore Geisel, was given a challenge by a friend over dinner: write a story for first-graders that was limited to no more than 225 words out of a first grade vocabulary list of 348 words. Nine months and 236 words later, "The Cat in the Hat" was born. Under his nom de plume of Dr. Seuss, Geisel's fanciful and naughty cat went on to sell around one million copies in the first three years. A few years later, Geisel's new publisher bet him $50 that he couldn't repeat his success using only 50 words, and "Green Eggs and Ham" was born. While Geisel claimed he never got his $50, he did get a lifetime of royalties from one of the best selling children's books of all time. See Dick and Jane blush with envy.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »
OK LET'S GET TO THE MONEY: HE WROTE --
"So what would a compelling body of work look like for an industry executive?

2-3 scripts (either screenplays or pilots) in like genre, all meeting the same level of excellence
    Potentially one script in a varied format (for feature writers, this would be a TV pilot or material for a web series; for TV writers this would be a feature or web-driven material)
    At least 5 strong ideas in like genre
    2 strong ideas outside brand (in a different genre)"

to that I offer this:

So what would a compelling body of work look like for an industry executive?  TO ME THEY LOOK FOR VOICE. THEY KNOW IT WHEN THE 'READ' IT.

2-3 scripts (either screenplays or pilots) in like genre, all meeting the same level of excellence - FOR SURE.
    Potentially one script in a varied format (for feature writers, this would be a TV pilot or material for a web series; for TV writers this would be a feature or web-driven material) FOR SURE.
    At least 5 strong ideas in like genre FOR SURE (WHAT I CALL BACK BURNER OR HOPPER PLOTS)
    2 strong ideas outside brand (in a different genre) (FOR SURE, SHOWS VERSATILITY.

That said, I have one or two WHICH FEEL LIKE one hit wonder writers.
They can't or have yet to be able to leap from genre to genre.
They are not what I would call 'industrial strength' writers; they are instead energetic writers who got a bit of luck on one script because the hook is so good or the subject matter is so dear to them. That's not an insult by the way; it just 'is.'
I hope this helps, if not hit me back.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 01:25:22 AM »
Hmm... I really, really have to work on that first one. The rest of the list follows later. =)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 05:29:54 AM »
the best writers now are landing in tv/cable- so breaking in think indie/internet content, think creating your own tv pilot/character brand and MAKE IT STUFF FOLKS will WANT TO SEE: too many writers write for 'themselves' and I say that respectfully. Think about an internet 'tv' station show case, use tweets to market, use fb for same, consider outreach for hire (you all know I love Ashley and he's inexpensive) and think CHEAP SHOOT. Show biz is often an inflated pricetag - rethink YOUR version of innovation; aka Paranormal Act. cheap shoot, big franchise now. Lean and very edgy. in short be smart and pretend it's you writing the checks. IF you see GREEN, think RED. If you see Rom Com, go polar opposite. Take for example Hook; invert it to ??????????? See: Usual Suspects; invert it to ??????????????? - have a good time with your writing. bb

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 06:09:50 AM »
reminder NOT TRUE:
XXXX is on XXXX

Proceed with Caution
I advise extreme caution with this agency. I submitted a screenplay query and was told it was a promising premise, but that I needed to pay a $59 reading fee. This is not a legitimate practice and in violation of ES's WGA-registration.
xxxxx REMINDER: SBA AKA ES AGENT NEVER CHARGES, NEVER DID. NEVER WILL. (Sigh, I wish! lol!) love ya. BABZ