Author Topic: From the desk of Babz  (Read 3006 times)

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
Re: From the desk of Babz
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »

Thanks Michael for posting and Barbara for the link.

Some great information contained in this read for any upcoming or down-going screenwriter who wants to turn things around.

All we gotta do is hammer these points into our small heads !!!!

Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
Good reminders.

Interesting that the last article I read at Scriptshadow was from a reader who made the point that readers don't stop after ten pages, but I suppose they can  switch off.

The first ten are key.

denamckinnon

• Word
  • Be nice, or I'll turn you into a frog.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 04:15:09 AM »
I think this is so important...more important is that every page has to have what I call TTP value. TTP=Turn The Page....it's so important to keep a reader reading. Also...readability is a factor. If something is easy to read and reads fast...it will help a great deal.

One thing to remember too...not only just getting the reader to the inc inc on page 10-12 is this: If you watch a number of movies...and beat them out...sometimes the catalyst is two part. This is also similar to using the sequence method where something important happens at least every six pages. Something will happen around page 6 that leads to the inc inc on page whatever. Page number isn't that important for these things to fall on people. What is important is keeping the reader reading. Page ONE needs to have something to really interest the reader....IMO. If I'm not interested in anything by page 5 I'm out.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:12 AM »
I just read not one but three page turners. Sadly two of the three had an agent but the scripts were not set up anywhere. While that was hard for me to believe, I was almost relieved, "heck if this isn't going maybe we still have some hope!" Something that writer did; TOLD THE STORY IN THE CUT. It made me ask, ok what's next. HUGE. Small thing. Huge impact.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
When I read that article, I thought it was highly derivative. There was nothing new in there. At the same time, it was informative because it reinforced what they (people who are better than you are) are trying to beat into your heads, without including a bunch of fluff. Good call on that one.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
hi kids
click each drop down
read and learn
there will be a test
hugs
bb

http://filmdevelopmentgroup.com/

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 07:35:29 AM »
QUESTIONS FOR THE SHOW AND OR SUGGESTED TOPICS; doing show prep now.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
I read a script like this:
1. is there voice?
2. is it unique?
3. is there narrative tug?
4. is there a hook?
5. would I pay to produce it if I could?
6. would I want to see it if it was on the air or distributed?
7. do I love it enough to hawk it for six months to see if I can get it going and is the writer professional enough so if it does go he or she can do rewrites on a dime or will the writer be a pain all the way through - do they know the biz?
8. do I know buyers who may want it?
9. do I know prods who know how to cast talent?
10. And finally and above all will it make 3 dollars per dollar invested for the investors?

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »
Just saw the Questions / Suggested Topics post.

I'm not passing that up but understand if you don't have time or doesn't fit in the show...

When adapting a novel to screenplay: is it best to have the novel author (since they're available) stay out of the way during the process of screenwriting, and only have him see a finished draft and respond with notes? Or should they be involved page-by-page?

I know there's no hard and fast rule for that...just looking to be effecient and minimize potential conflict.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:47:19 AM »
great question:

scenario 1: I can't see a novelist who gets lucky and sells the rights having any 'sway' but I will bet you a smart prod will meet with that writer and pick his or her brain.

scenario 2: new novelist who's a jerk - self explanatory

scenario 3: star novelist - lots of sway, final say? depend on what's at stake.

It really does depend on who's running with it, what's involved in terms of egos (on set etc) and what the contract states first and foremost.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Just saw the Questions / Suggested Topics post.

I'm not passing that up but understand if you don't have time or doesn't fit in the show...

When adapting a novel to screenplay: is it best to have the novel author (since they're available) stay out of the way during the process of screenwriting, and only have him see a finished draft and respond with notes? Or should t
hey be involved page-by-page?

I know there's no hard and fast rule for that...just looking to be efficient and minimize potential conflict.
THE NARRATIVE RULE FROM BOOK TO SCREENPLAY?
essence.
the scriptwriter must try to protect THE ESSENCE of the book.
My book clients (I have two) have ZERO to do with the screenwriters.
b

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
Awesome...thanks!

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
SOME ARE SO FUNNY, AND SO RARE AND HAVE JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF NUT BURGER, I JUST HAVE TO SHARE:

WHAT YOU DON'T SAY TO AN AGENT WHEN WE PASS:

DEAR BABZ:
First, I want to say that was a very polite brush-off. As a naive screenwriter I was filled with hope and aspirations.

Second, I want you to know you really screwed the pooch. I honestly do know how the xxx were constructed, and I can also offer proof that someone else figured it out also... 4,500 years ago. Consider the evidence.

Third, I've read xxxx, boo-hoo I'm scared. Congratulations, you let the big one slip through your fingers. But don't feel too bad, yours was a privileged life.

Lastly, as a fledgling, you're the second that has responded to my baby bird 'cheeps', so I appreciate the fact that someone in 'the business' hears and thinks about me. Wish you'd have gotten it right though...

By the way... xxxx plagiarized one of my lines -- "We xxxx". I cannot prove it, but I know it. I can prove I wrote that line over ten years ago.

(WILD! NUFF SAID. BUT FUNNY! YEAH! I felt so bad for the guy, because I always leave my door open even when I pass. BUT NOT TO HIM. See ya all next show. bb)

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
I know that story Babz told was old, but I just read it for the first time. Reaction was simple: small chuckle. Seven second pause. Sigh.