Author Topic: Basics - Characters  (Read 1145 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Basics - Characters
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:52:25 PM »
This is a thread containing information about creating characters.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
Re: Basics - Characters
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:57:04 AM »
A few thoughts.

The more I think about characters, and what makes them interesting, I feel they are often 'quirky'. They have their habits, rituals - good tip for showing change by the way - but are often not satisfied in some way.

Of course there are millions of different characters and their types, but I do like those with contrasts - eg the soldier who wants to stop fighting - gladiator - or those who are obsessed with carrying on, ie the extremes.

Chinatown, obviously one of the greatest scripts, is an interesting one whereby the private detective who doesn't care about anybody is the only one fighting for justice at the end. Subtle and brilliant.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:08 AM »

I have written screenplays for many characters from psychopaths to losers and feel each character should have their own personality and their own voice in order to distinguish them from others.

The way to really achieve this is if the writer is aware of the characters backstory, their likes, dislikes and overall demeanor.

This can only be achieved by the writer creating a Character Bio.
Even is the information in the Character Bio is not reflected in the screenplay, the reader will know if the writer knows the characters backstory as it will be reflected in the writing.

LEARN WHO YOUR CHARACTERS REALLY ARE AND WHAT THEY HAVE EXPERIENCED IN THEIR LIFE !!!!

Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
The bio didn't work for me but I could definitely see it working for people the majority of the time. There is the possibility of giving too much information in those bios as it may tempt you to make use of ALL that information and, as a result, creating extraneous scenes. But, knowing that information is certainly helpful.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
The bio didn't work for me but I could definitely see it working for people the majority of the time. There is the possibility of giving too much information in those bios as it may tempt you to make use of ALL that information and, as a result, creating extraneous scenes. But, knowing that information is certainly helpful.

Hey Sean,

I think different things work for different people, you are right. I feel this works for me and to get to know the character intimately I do need to know their backstory for  their personality to come out.
I guess if you know the backstory in your head including their likes and dislikes you don't need it on paper.

Regards Alex

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »
Personally, I am a person who doesn't like to get too held down with character bios and documents like that. While I can certainly see their merits, I think it is more important to be open about how your characters may develop throughout a screenplay. I'd much rather go in blind, not really knowing the characters, but knowing their story. As a result, I feel their true characters will come out as a result. In the end, the result is still the same as what it would be with character bios, but you get to (almost) experience their story with the character. Perhaps I'm thinking too much into this?

Always remember to at least clearly distinguish between your characters.