Author Topic: Basics - Slug Lines  (Read 1182 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Basics - Slug Lines
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »
This is a thread containing information related to slug lines.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
Re: Basics - Slug Lines
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »
EXT. PUBLIC PARK - MALE TOILET - NIGHT

Slugs and Mini-Slugs are an important part of any story as it gives the reader the first image of where the story takes place and in fact a good Slugline makes the reader picture the image in their head.

I know you are already picturing a toilet block in a deserted park. It is a dark and extremely cold night and the mood it tense.

Hopefully the above slug gave you that feel ???

Suddenly "George Michael" walks out the toilet !!!!!  Hee Hee Just Kiding !!!!

It is also important to know when to use Mini slugs as they really do make life easier especially when you are in a house and moving from room to room.

INT. ALEX'S HOUSE - KITCHEN

Alex grabs an apple from the fruit bowl, polishes it on his pants and walks into the...

FAMILY ROOM

Alex sits in his armchair, turns the television on and watches the FREMANTLE DOCKERS kick ass.

Hee Hee I hope this gives you a good idea about Slugs !!!!

Regards Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Mo

• Word
Re: Basics - Slug Lines
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
Minislugs are great if used right. Nobody ever seems to care about slugs but they're very important in any screenplay, I think the biggest thing you have to look for is not confusing the reader, really make sure the name of the location makes sense. I've read countless scripts where there are slugs like EXT. 2000 FEET - DAY - this isn't a location, you're just telling us the altitude. Being specific is always good but there's definitely a line you don't want to cross.