Author Topic: The Conspiracy (2012)  (Read 474 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
The Conspiracy (2012)
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:02:15 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/v/xZNVPiyl_ag&fs=1

A pair of documentary filmmakers pursue the profile story of an eccentric conspiracy theorist they found via a YouTube video.  Fascinated by his paranoid delusions they follow him as a walks around the street with a loudspeaker telling everyone they are slaves of a secret society that shapes world events.  Until he disappears without a trace and one of the filmmakers becomes obsessed with the theorist's "research", piecing it together until he discovers that there is indeed a secret society behind it all and that quite possibly the theorist was neither paranoid nor delusional.

The director of this film tried to keep this film as real as possible - until the disappearance of the theorist I thought it could have easily been a documentary.   Obviously the film plays with the notion of "what if" the conspiracy was real but as it does this you're really not certain either way and  there's some very creepy moments. 

Such as when they first discover the secret society which is disguised as a "rich man's" club, they find the only way to contact them is a phone number.  When they call the phone number there is no message - just a mechanical female voice that keeps repeating the filmmaker's phone number over and over.  It might not sound so creepy on paper but in context it made my skin crawl.

Whilst this film does have some predictable moments, it did keep me on the edge of my seat.   And there's only so much you can do to keep something like this feeling real, by the time we get to the secret society we know it's not a docco - but we're sure as hell interested in the outcome.   

This movie is an excellent example of what could be done relatively inexpensively with a mockumentary/found-footage film.   And whilst it isn't perfect, it's definitely a good watch, especially if you dig conspiracy theories.