Author Topic: Found a possible project  (Read 632 times)

Trinity

• Punctuation
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
Found a possible project
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:15:45 AM »
Hi everyone,

Hopefully put this in the right section. I need to pick a few brains on a story I have found that I think would make a great Pixar type animated children´s film.

It is an unpublished story that I found trawling through an amateur writing forum so there are aspects that need tidying up; one of the characters is a little too sassy, the ending reads a little rushed and throw away, a couple of themes started at the beginning should be carried through to other chapters.

I´m in the process of writing my first book so that expresses my level of screenwriting experience, however I can see this playing out in front of me when I read it, so I think someone can make something good out of this.

Questions:-

What is the procedure? Should I attempt to write a script/find a scriptwriter and see if there is interest before approaching the original author or approach them first?

Finding a scriptwriter for animation.

Finding a producer or agent who has an interest in animation.

Any other bits of advice but be fantastic.

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
Re: Found a possible project
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:51:30 AM »
Hi Trinity,

Welcome to Writer Arena! Good to have you.

In regards to your question I would personally trust my instinct. If you think there is potential for this story to make it on screen I would stick around here, learn the ropes of screenwriting and then have a crack at the screenplay. If you are interested in writing a screenplay yourself, it might be best to learn some of the basics first. This doesn't take much time. The basics can be covered in just under an hour on a few websites. However, it takes a while to properly get the hang of it.

If you wish to work with another screenwriter. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding an interested person on one of these forums.

In regards to the copyright, definitely contact the writer of the story first. Imagine getting yourself a screenwriter, while getting all pumped up for the project only to contact the short story writer to hear the following word: "no." Personally, I think its best yo get in touch with the writer before you start with the script. Who knows? Maybe they want to be a part of the writing process.

Either way, writing a script is ab exciting new process to try. I wish you all the best with your project.

Hope this helps. I know there are more experienced writers here who could help you.

Dan

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »
Hello Trinity,

Daniel is spot on in the suggestions he's made. 

If you're really serious about doing this project then the first step would be to contact the author of the short story and get permission to write a screenplay for it. 

The next step is to write a couple of practice screenplays and get some objective comments on them, so you can learn how to write one correctly.  Reading other screenplays is a good thing to do for learning as well.

Don't be discoraged, writing a screenplay that other people like isn't easy - but you'll be able to do it after a few tries.   

After you feel comfortable about writing a screenplay then write your screenplay from the short story.

Or you can just find someone to write it for you - but that isn't always easier.   

Trinity

• Punctuation
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
Hi,

I will write a tentative enquiry to the author then and see what they think. Quite a few hours have been spent lurking on the SimplyScripts forum over the last eight months or so working out how to write scripts and then slamming my head in to the keyboard to remove all the unnecessary description and emotion that I seem to like to write. Scripts are hard!

I will continue with the lurking, slamming and typing for now and see what I can garner. If only getting what I can see was so easily put on the darn screen.

Thanks for the help both of you.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Hey Trinity and welcome to the WA boards.

You have received some great advice from Dan and Michael.

I was in you exact shoes some 4-5 years back and wanted to write a screenplay though had no idea where to begin.

I outlined my story into as much detail as I could and realized the task was huge at that time for an inexperienced writer like myself.

I then began by writing "shorts" in order to learn more about screenwriting and believe me it was a huge learning exercise and I am glad I took that path.
Many of my shorts got produced and once I had gained more experience I returned to getting my feature completed.

Since then I have written treatments for some 10 features and these are all in development at the moment.

Also if you have a great idea, keep it to yourself, as it doesn't take much in this industry for an idea to get stolen.

If you do seek advice from anyone over your preliminary writing/idea, make sure you sign a Non-Disclosure agreement with them and if you decide to jointly create the screenplay then you will need a Collaboration agreement signed.

It's you decision which path you take though just to let you know, to learn to write screenplays and to create the screenplay yourself could amount to a few years of effort.

Happy to offer any advise you may require.

Regards Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Trinity

• Punctuation
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
Hi Alex,

Thank you for the advice there are a couple of bits there that I havn´t really looked in to yet (agreements etc).

I´ve been sat reading scripts all night to try and get techniques and ground work understood so I will have a try turning some of my short stories into ¨shorts¨.

Thank you

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:58:51 AM »
I´ve been sat reading scripts all night to try and get techniques and ground work understood so I will have a try turning some of my short stories into ¨shorts¨.

Hey Trinity,

Go for it mate!!! You can also post your draft shorts on this site and all the guys would be more than happy to comment on your writing to help you out.

Maybe do a couple of 2-3 pagers first so you can get the format correct.
Regards Alex
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:00:32 PM by Alex »