Author Topic: So you Want to be a Screenwriter !!!  (Read 1812 times)

Alex

• One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
So you Want to be a Screenwriter !!!
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »
Hey Guys,

I Wrote this attached Blog for a bit of Fun !!! Had a bit of time to kill so I thought I would post it on here in the chance you guys get a giggle from it.

You may think it's a bit of a "Pessimists" view though I feel it may be more of a "Realists" view on screenwriting.

Even though it may not sound like it !! "I do love the Art"

ENJOY and let me know what you think.

Alex

PS Click on the "Screenwriting.PDF" link just below this text.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:00:57 PM by Alex »
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Pia

• Global Moderator
Re: So you Want to be a Screenwriter !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
That was pretty spot on, Alex. One reason I decided to quit is because I've seen that exact scenario play out for several of my friends and the last thing I want is to end up like them. Bitter and depressed. I can see how it works and I have no interest and in continuing. Sad maybe, but true. Now I'm going to concentrate on other things. First up is building a Koi pond!  8)

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:55:51 AM »
It's the ultimate uphill battle, screenwriting. Pia, did you ever consider expanding your horizons into novels or comic books?
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
My English is best suited for screenplays, I believe. I would love to write novels, but I just don't have the skill for that. And, I hate comic books!!!!! I didn't grow up with them and I hate the films based on them. I never go to the movies to see a super hero in costume! I like real people stories better.  :)  :D 

Alex

• One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »

This thread has been seriously hijacked, not that I mind though did anyone besides Pia read the PDF blog at the top of the page ?

Alex

Mo

• Word
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »
I gave it a little read earlier in the day, Alex. Thought it was amusing but the comedy aspect took a little of the seriousness away, unless that's what you were trying to do.

Alex

• One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »
I gave it a little read earlier in the day, Alex. Thought it was amusing but the comedy aspect took a little of the seriousness away, unless that's what you were trying to do.

Thanks Mo,

Thought that most screenwriters would see the funny side of what an uphill battle they face.

Even though it describes the process it is probably a bit tongue in cheek as I feel it is probably better to have a laugh rather than a cry.

Alex

denamckinnon

• Word
  • Be nice, or I'll turn you into a frog.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »
Alexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...

O-M-G I have to ask myself sometimes ....Dena, are you crazy or what? This is sort of like torture. Infact, I have to question whether I'm a glutton for punishment or into sadomasochism!!! I am not going to lie. I think about quitting everyday. I KNOW I cannot write good enough to write for the big screen. As time ticks, everyday I find out more and more, that you can't make money selling indie. I also am an artist by nature. I paint. I write. I consider writing and art form. Well, hello....a friend beats it in me daily that it's not an art form....but I still want to sit down and pour words out onto paper until I run out. *sigh*

Man, I think we must get drunk and skype over this!! LOL I do not like to talk or think pessimistic, but in this business I would quit if I didn't put on the magic glasses...ya know the ones that blind out the harsh REALITY!! Cuz it's harsh! The two years I've been writing, I have looked up to those like Pia.....and thought to myself...if I can just one day get there, I'd be the happiest person in the world. But still....to write sometimes 6 hours...sometimes 10 hours a day....and never get paid, or even really appreciated....hard hard hard to justify this stuff.

So my new plan is this...Dena is going on vacation and when she gets back ...she is getting a REAL job...so I can get my hair done...my nails done...and enjoy my days off drinking umbrella drinks on the beach or by the pool. And if there is any spare time :) I'll do it as a hobby. I'm just not cut out ....not to ever be 'pro'....but I do love writing....like I love painting. Just wish I could sell as many scripts as I've sold paintings!!!!!! :)

Rock on team!

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
Hey Alex. I actually read this earlier in the week but didn't have time to reply. But I decided to reply on Stage 32 just to give it a reply post there and I haven't navigated that site very much. I'm still to figure out what all is there and how to use it. Check out your post there for my thoughts (although my thoughts don't actually amount to much).

Not included on the Stage 32 post: DENA CAN PAINT TOO??!!!

Alex

• One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »
Hey Alex. I actually read this earlier in the week but didn't have time to reply. But I decided to reply on Stage 32 just to give it a reply post there and I haven't navigated that site very much. I'm still to figure out what all is there and how to use it. Check out your post there for my thoughts (although my thoughts don't actually amount to much).

Not included on the Stage 32 post: DENA CAN PAINT TOO??!!!

Hey Dena and thanks for the reply.

I didn't mean to depress anyone by this post, though thought that people would see harsh reality of the industry we are in, and be able to relate as well as getting a giggle from my blog. Painting sounds good. Should post some pics of your work.

Ed, thanks for a great response on Stage32. Have to say your fast track method is the way to go. Hit it hard, get some credits under your belt, and if it opens doorways, then G8. Good luck and hope to hear more of your success.

Thanks Guys. Alex

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:54:06 PM by Alex »

denamckinnon

• Word
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 02:33:07 AM »
Dena jack of all trades ...master of NONE :) haha

Alex

• One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 05:07:55 PM »
Dena jack of all trades ...master of NONE :) haha

Hee Hee

At least I've mastered the art of tying my shoe laces.

Khamanna

• Word
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
That was funny, Alex. I'm thinking about worms a lot - didn't know I should start thinking about sleeping with one. Maybe I should...

One reason I decided to quit is because I've seen that exact scenario play out for several of my friends and the last thing I want is to end up like them. Bitter and depressed.   8)
I saw you say it but I didn't know you decided to stick to it! Eh...

denamckinnon

• Word
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:42:08 AM »
Kha...

After reading one of your works a while back....it reminded me of one I'm seeing coming out about a snail in a race. You have the brain of a Pixar or Disney writer!!! :) Did you ever finish that feature??

D

Danny

• Word
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
But surely following your gut instinct and failing is better than never trying and looking back at your life and wondering what if? :-\