Author Topic: Anyone entered Nicholls?  (Read 679 times)

Pia

• Global Moderator
Anyone entered Nicholls?
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:52:22 AM »
If so, how did you do?

I checked some stats and noticed one person in Nepal entered a script! I thought that was really cool.

Also noticed about 72% of the scripts were written by males and 28% by females. I knew more men write scripts, but I didn't know the difference was that big.

Thoughts?

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone entered Nicholls?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:34:20 AM »
Haven't had anything of the quality to enter...yet - still mucking around with shorts. Although i'm keen to enter a few more 'big' ones with short scripts. Eg entered Blue Cat at the weekend, just after I told myself no more entries!

Memo to self - try and get a feature script together for next year

Mo

• Word
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
I was so close to entering Nicholls but decided I wasn't a good enough writer yet - and also that my scripts weren't of the best quality, which is a must for Nicholls. Settled with Bluecat instead which runs an international award for writers residing in countries outside the USA, Canada and the UK. Got some good comments in their coverage thingy but Bluecat is infamous for making writers feel special then throwing it all in their face.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »
Have to follow the consensus ATM.

Never entered and no immediate plans to.

You really gotta look at the reason you are considering entering a Comp ??? Is it for exposure and to get your name out there ??? This will only happen if you finish close to the top of the ladder SADLY ENOUGH !!! and the chances of that happening are pretty slim even for an amazing writer. "Sorry the truth does hurt"

There may be cheaper alternatives to getting exposure !!!!
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:53:49 AM »
I still have to make Christmas Story and Andretta nice and neat and I'd like to have a third one. Then, maybe I'll enter one day. Would be nice to eventually know how I stack up. =)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Mo

• Word
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 01:35:49 AM »
There may be cheaper alternatives to getting exposure !!!!

See, this is one thing I really wonder. How does one get his script noticed if it's not from contests? You could go the query route but from what I've read/seen, there seems to be an unlimited amount of shady, and to be blunt, poor managers and agents out there. And even if something happens with the script from agents/mangers and they get it out to people, it's right to assume it'll be a small growing company - and I might be the only one to think this but their quality of work looks generally poor. Competitions seem to be a safe alternative I suppose, especially ones that are suited to the script you're submitting. All of this is one of the worst things about screenwriting, what should one go when they've written that one perfect script - and is it really as perfect as you think?

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 05:14:24 AM »
If I ever write again, it will be with the aim to enter Nicholls, but no other comps.

Khamanna

• Word
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:34:25 PM »
I may think about it the next year with my Clever Gus. Here - I said it, I pretty much sure that I jinxed it))

denamckinnon

• Word
  • Be nice, or I'll turn you into a frog.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »
I may write one for next year. Not big on contests myself.

One thing...they did say that about 70/30 entered males/females and the outcome so far from quarters have been pretty much the same type ratio. I guess there are less female writers. I don't get it. But the contest seems fair in that respect. One thing I did read on tracking board was that a script last year missed advancement into the semis due to 'f' bombs dropped in the script. Weird.

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »
Entered my comedy which is doing okay in other contests but did not make the top 5% of Nicholls. They let me know it did make the top 15% for whatever that's worth, but still, not soup for me.