Author Topic: Restricting script access - options  (Read 658 times)

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
Restricting script access - options
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:51:16 PM »
Largely one for Michael,

I am currently rewriting a short script with the intention of entering it into the mainstream competitions. ;D

Now, on the one hand I would like reads - when ready - to fine tune the concept, but on the other I don't really want this done in public as it is work in progress for competitive use. Others may have different reasons, eg starting out, or just unsure.

I suppose my reason could be considered a bit sensitive, but its not unusual.

So, getting to the point of my post, is it possible to post a script, or Dropbox link, but actually restrict who sees this, and who sees the feedback. Is it easy to do?

Could there be a dedicated section for this purpose?

One option would be to form sharing groups. Once a script has been posted in the confidential thread the readers are notified without the whole membership knowing.

Within this I would prefer that reviewers don't see each others feedback otherwise it starts to be affected. Can this be achieved?

Of course this can all be done offline, direct email etc, but if this was a tool you may find that it helps the community and the ability for WA to become a focus for writers. :)

Cheers

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
Re: Restricting script access - options
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »
Hey Bill,

You could always put the PDF of the screenplay into a zip file that is password protected that way if anyone attempts to open it they will need the password.

This is not totally secure though nothing really is.

Regards Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:55:52 AM »
Hi Bill,

I'm reasonably out of my comfort zone in saying this, so don't quote me on anything. As you said, this is really a question for Michael, as he controls all the fancy buttons.

I think most of what you asked can be done. As far as I know individual boards can be restricted for certain members. If you're marked for it, you can see the board, where others can't. I think you can do the same with certain threads. As for restricting the posts so only the writer of the screenplay can see it...? I have no idea if that can be done... Cue Michael for that one.

Dan

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »
The forum doesn't work on a user basis, it works on groups.   In order to do what you want, you would need to have a group set up for that purpose.  All of the members that needed to be in that group would need to be added manually to that group.  Then a board would need to be created that is visible for that group.  All of which, I would need to do.   I don't mind doing  that for you as a one off thing while the forum is small but when it gets bigger that isn't going to be an option.

Further down the road, in my plans, this sort of thing would be possible on a user by user basis, controlled by the member - but as of now, no.   

Otherwise, if you attach it to a post in the Perfect board only other members of the forum can see it.  It isn't public.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »
Ok Reef, there's a new board called Reef Dreamer Board under General>Perfect and only people in Reef Dreamer Group can see it (and the global moderators of course).  People can request to be in this group from Profile>Modify Profile>Group Membership.  Reef, you're going to have to approve the membership.  I made you the moderator of both the group and the board so somehow you should be able to approve the group requests.  Something should have appeared on your interface to allow you to approve them.  I'm not sure what, you'll have to tell me.  It could be Moderate>Membergroups>Membergroup Requests.

Enjoy.

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
Hey, Reef. Sounds like you're concerned someone might steal your story idea. From what I understand, it is highly unlikely. There are so many peeps out there with so many stories of their own that they don't want to bother themselves with stealing someone else's idea.  That said, I have read about a couple of instances where some D-bags tried this. They were immediately called out on it. I think so long as you register your story with Library of Congress, you're fine--if someone lifts your story you'll have proof that you wrote it first.

And if you're entering contests--rather than posting your script on a message board for crits--it's even less likely to get ripped off as it is not publicly displayed, but merely read by a handful of "judges" for lack of a better term. I also wouldn't advise putting your .pdf into a zip-drive or pass-coding it. Why make the judges job more difficult? They already have to sift through dozens (or in some cases, hundreds) of entries, some so dreadfully bad that they probably regret accepting the gig, so why annoy them and give them an excuse to bypass your script?

Just some food for thought.