Author Topic: The Purge (2013)  (Read 632 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
The Purge (2013)
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »
Imagine a not too distant future US where the "new founding fathers" have decreed one single day each year when all crime, even murder, would be legal in order to purge it from society for the rest of the year and you'll  picture the world where this film is set.

This movie, by the pretty much unknown director/writer James DeMonaco, does a fairly good job with this premise.  He takes a family that has some inner stresses, locks them in the house for the evening of the purge and then throws in a few unexpected visitors.   

There's a couple of reasons I'm not raving about this film.  The first being that some of it felt a bit derivative of The Strangers - remember that film? 

Also, there was a bit of plot weirdness.  A boyfriend of the young girl in the house ends up staying after lockdown - but they kill him off right away.   I thought that was a wasted opportunity, even though I can understand why they might have gone in the direction they did.

And though I thought the end was satisfying, I think the way they were saved from "The Strangers"  was a bit forced - even though it was foreshadowed (or maybe even because it was foreshadowed).   I bought into the premise until a certain point, near the end, and then I found I didn't believe any longer.

However, this is a watchable film and certainly something fun to watch if you're looking for a story type action film.  The reason I stress story is because it takes a while for the action to take off.

Enjoy!         

Pia

• Global Moderator
Re: The Purge (2013)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33:29 AM »
I remember The Strangers. I liked it too, if I remember correctly. I haven't seen The Purge, but I just don't buy the premise of this one, so I'm waiting until it shows up at NetFlix.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
Re: The Purge (2013)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
I remember The Strangers. I liked it too, if I remember correctly. I haven't seen The Purge, but I just don't buy the premise of this one, so I'm waiting until it shows up at NetFlix.

Same here, it just seems a bit tacky to me.

Imdb didn't rate it to well either.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2184339/

Made someone some Moulah though !!!!!

Budget:
 $3,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend:
 $34,058,360 (USA) (7 June 2013)
Gross:
 $62,791,315 (USA) (28 June 2013)
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.