Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 687 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Game of Thrones
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
After watching the end of season three last night, I decided to read the books.

I like to watch fantasy but I generally don't like to read it (at least not straight up fantasy like GOT).  However, this series has been so consistently good and I'm very curious to find out what happens after the end of season three - which I guess means I have to read three books in order to find out.  Don't tell me if you know.

If you aren't watching this series, it's gritty adult fantasy about a land similar enough to medieval earth but different enough so you know it's not earth.  It follows a few characters through huge arcs that span seasons.  What strikes me about this story is that very often, it's the hopeful characters that you like the most that are killed off, it seems to nurture the villains.  I'm hoping the villains get their's but I'm not so certain that's going to happen which makes the story rather exciting (an a good lesson on writing this sort of thing).  Either way, it convinced me to read the books which is likely part of its purpose.

This third season was a bit darker than the rest with some hard to watch torture and the brutal massacre of some very likable characters.  Have you been watching this series?  What do you think?

Danny

• Word
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »
This series is very good, at first look I got 6/7 episodes in to season 1 and thought it was average. but then it picked up. I'm recommending this show as a must see if you like T.V.
It's a cross between ( at least I think so ) Lord of the Rings and Sopranos. With a strong political theme.
But I  recommend not getting attached to your favourite characters.  :'( ;D

CoopBazinga

• Word
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
I watched the first episode when it first aired and then never bothered again with it until like two months ago when me and the missus decided to give it another crack...

Suffice to say that we got hooked and I think this is absolutely brilliant television with amazing characters. I don't I've ever been as angry or devastated as I was after episode 9 (the red wedding) of season 3. I read a funny story online about a guy who completely tore his book apart after reading it.

Looking forward to season 4 next year but like you, Michael, I'm now very interested in reading the books and continuing the epic journey in Westeros

Danny

• Word
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
Then pick up "Storm of Swords Blood and Gold" That's where season 3 left off.