Author Topic: Writing Music.  (Read 812 times)

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
Writing Music.
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »
It's one of those things. I find it impossible to write without music going. It's weird because it can't be just any ambient sound, so I figure it has much more to do with beats than lyrics. I have a long list of songs for certain occasions, but I make specific files for each script I'm writing, in hopes of getting the tone right. Just for Andretta, my list is about 30 and there's definitely a few more I could use, but I don't want to oversaturate it.

All I Want - The Offspring.
Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Ball & Chain - Social Distortion.
Blue Moon - The Marcels.
Come Sail Away - Styx.
Come See About Me - The Supremes.
Crash - The Primitives.
Crimson & Clover - Tommy James and the Shondells.
Don't Worry Baby - The Beach Boys.
Face Down - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.
Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger.
Hey Man Nice Shot - Filter.
House of the Rising Sun - The Animals.
Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran.
Hurdy Gurdy Man - Donovan.
Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield.
L'Arena - Ennio Morricone.
Layla - Cream.
Make Your Own Kind of Music - Mama Cass.
Manic Monday - The Bangles.
My Buddy - G-Unit.
Obsession - Animotion.
Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones.
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads.
Sister Christian - Night Ranger.
Skyfall - Adele.
The Next Life - Suede.
To Be Quite Honest - Cruiserweight.
Today - The Smashing Pumpkins.
You're So Vain - Carly Simon.

Ironically, a few of the songs in there are ones I don't even like. But, I'll be damned if they don't help. What about you guys? Do you use music when you write and does any song work or does it need to be a particular band/genre? List some songs off, so I can steal your song ideas. Lol. =)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Re: Writing Music.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
I can't listen to anything with lyrics when I'm writing. 

So my writing music - when I actually listen to it - is usually soundtracks.  Not the kind with various artists, the score kind. 

One of my favourite soundtracks is Krull (even though the movie was pretty forgettable).

However, pretty much any soundtrack will do while writing, especially if it's from a movie of the same genre I'm writing.   

Dave Troop

• Clause
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »
 :o

I do the exact same thing. 

I often use music to help me get into the scene when I write.

I use everything from movie scores, symphonies, to AC/DC and Nine Inch Nails "Ghosts."
I will have to check out Krull.  YouTube offers endless possibilities.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:13:40 PM by Dave Troop »

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
I know this is very smart. It can't hurt to pick the right music for the 'vibe' you want. keep at it.

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
Like Michael, I avoid music with lyrics. That way I often find myself singing along, or worse, having my characters accidentally sign the lyrics without my knowledge.

The music I listen to usually depends on the genre I'm writing and the mood of the particular scene. Hans Zimmer's "Time" is a regular piece of music to cross my YouTube playlist along with Zimmer's soundtrack for... pretty much anything. My favorite film score composer.

While I don't listen to music with lyrics while I write, I do listen to lyrical music BEFORE I write for some inspiration. In that case, Jack Johnson, U2 and The Beatles are on regular rotation.

Dan

tailbest

• Word
  • The Count of Monte Fisto
    • Random Goodness
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 02:19:55 AM »
:o

I do the exact same thing. 

I often use music to help me get into the scene when I write.

I use everything from movie scores, symphonies, to AC/DC and Nine Inch Nails "Ghosts."
I will have to check out Krull.  YouTube offers endless possibilities.

Love "Ghosts". Really good atmospheric music.

I listen to certain types of music for whatever I have going on at the time. I wrote a David Lynch-esque short on MP last year and I listened to Marilyn Manson's cover of "Sweet Dreams" because it helped me get to that dark mood and vibe I was looking for. I am not a huge Manson fan, but that song was the one I needed to get the feel right.

Though when I finished my first feature-length script, "Meat", I was listening to old school blues music on Pandora from a variety of artists. That script is about zombies and government cover-ups, but for whatever reason blues from the late 1800's through the 1950's really got me into a rhythm.

It really is just about finding whatever gets you in the mood to write. It could be music you least expect, but it's always nice when you find the music that works.
Why don't we just...wait here for a little while...see what happens?
Why don't we just...wait here for a little while...see what happens?

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 05:26:30 AM »
Yeah, you and your delta blues and your Ray Charles. It does definitely work when you have the right type of feeling. I always tend to lean towards '80s pop and '60s rock more than anything when I'm writing. Even if I have some scenes that require something else, the script never gravitates towards a different genre.