Author Topic: Beautiful Creatures  (Read 712 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Beautiful Creatures
« on: June 26, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/v/eLDL5mxgYNY

As usual I didn't really look too deeply into this film before I started to watch it (I just liked the cover art) so it was full of lots of surprises. 

At first I thought this was going to be a very dark fantasy but then discovered it was a comedy.  Then I discovered it was about a small backwater southern town - which could very easily have made me stop watching but it had a charming quality to it so I kept watching.   Then I discovered it was a love story and wondered why the heck I was watching this -- only to find I was far too interested in the outcome of the movie to turn it off.   I was also surprised to see some hefty cast members like Jeremy Irons and Emma Thompson thrown into the mix.

I don't know whether this was supposed to be Twilight for witches or not but I somehow don't think so.  I've never seen Twilight but I liked this movie and I know I wouldn't like Twilight therefor this isn't Twilight for witches.   Not a very scientific analysis but I'm certain I'm 100% correct.

The movie actually said a bit more than just the love story but the love story was very strong at the center of it.  This movie wasn't really all that dark but it wasn't exactly light either (it even makes a meta mention of that result), it's romantic but it's not exactly a RomCom.  I find the movie difficult to classify, a comedy fantasy romance maybe.   Richard LaGravenese who happened to write a couple of other movies that I think were well written - wrote and directed this film.   I think I'll be watching for movies he's worked on in the future.

So if you're looking for a comedy fantasy romance for the evening.  Then this is an entertaining choice. 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:31:15 PM by Writer Arena »

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
Re: Beautiful Creatures
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
With a cast like that and a more than ample premise, I want to check it out.