Author Topic: Sadly, two more writing greats pass this week  (Read 514 times)

EdBeach

• Letter
Sadly, two more writing greats pass this week
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:37:36 AM »
The world lost two more incredible talents this week.

Yesterday (may have been Sunday, but I saw it yesterday) Gary David Goldberg. Mostly a TV writer, he had a tremendous body of work as the creator of Family Ties, Brooklyn Bridge and Spin City in addition to writing a many other shows. Huge influnence on TV. As a child of the 1980s, his work definitely had an impact on me.

Today I saw that Richard Matheson also died this week. You don't realize just how prolific this guy was until you look at his body of work that included tons of short stories (many of which were adapted into films or TV episodes), novels, memorable episodes of The Twilight Zone and bunch of screenplays including Somewhere In Time. I loved watching The Twilight Zone as a kid and bought a short story collection that many of the shows were based on. I loved that book and used to re-read it about once a year. Matheson contributed most of the stories in that anthology. Matheson was excellent at scaring you, making you think and keeping you rivited until the end. The good news is that he leaves behind such a huge volume of work that it can keep you busy and entertained for a very, very long time. 

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Re: Sadly, two more writing greats pass this week
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »
I was very sad to see Richard Matheson go.  He gave me endless hours of entertainment as well as providing inspiration.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
Re: Sadly, two more writing greats pass this week
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »
I almost don't need to say anything. Michael said exactly what I think. I'm not familiar with Goldberg's work as I'm not much for comedies, but I know those shows were influential, so I'm sure it means a lot to a lot of people... =(
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.