Author Topic: Babz Wants...  (Read 5059 times)

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
Re: Babz Wants...
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »
The big question is, though, if you remove all that conventional wisdom that is responsible for so many horror movie deaths, how are you supposed to have your characters killed? Have them actually be smart? Lol. Don't make me laugh.

Hey Sean,

Have to agree with this !!! Also it would make the story too predictable.

Have to write "Out of the Box" !!! Why be like everyone else !!! Hee Hee

Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »
Well, killing off more clever characters is more interesting and fun, but you have to remember, we're trying to make a movie here, not a film. These are supposed to be stupid archetypes in cliched situations... =)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
Well, killing off more clever characters is more interesting and fun, but you have to remember, we're trying to make a movie here, not a film. These are supposed to be stupid archetypes in cliched situations... =)

Have to say the critical part is more the method you use to kill them rather that the personality of the characters.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »
Have to say the critical part is more the method you use to kill them rather that the personality of the characters.

Spoken like a true producer. Who cares about things like... I don't know, plot and characters? It's all about the kills. After all, who the hell can name the main characters from Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street anyway? Lol. I kid, I kid. Truth is, you can tell the pure slashers from the real horror movies. Between Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, which one felt less like an actual horror movie than just a slasher? Think about it. =)

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »
Spoken like a true producer. Who cares about things like... I don't know, plot and characters? It's all about the kills. After all, who the hell can name the main characters from Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street anyway? Lol. I kid, I kid. Truth is, you can tell the pure slashers from the real horror movies. Between Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, which one felt less like an actual horror movie than just a slasher? Think about it. =)

Some kill out of need, and some do it for the enjoyment. You can tell the difference in a movie as to their reasons. That what makes all the difference in a good HORROR.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 02:20:23 AM »
it's funny but for me it's more about the unexpected. The subtle. Now, grant it Exorcist was all of that and IN YOUR FACE, too. But when I read Insidious for example; GRIPPING and oft times (can't even believe I can use oft in a sentence lol), subtle.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »
Babz,

Excuse me for asking, when so many have asked before,  but I just wanted to check out how we get a script to you for consideration.

I have just completed the first draft of my latest feature ;D, not remotely for consideration yet >:(, but would like to put this to you in due course, if it makes the grade. 8)

What I understand we need to do is have;

1) a completed script - a final draft and as fault free as possible
2) coverage of consider or better - does it matter where this comes from?
3) a beat sheet - I'll need to work on this
4) logline and title - of course

Anything else I should know?

All the best

Bill

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »
it's funny but for me it's more about the unexpected. The subtle. Now, grant it Exorcist was all of that and IN YOUR FACE, too. But when I read Insidious for example; GRIPPING and oft times (can't even believe I can use oft in a sentence lol), subtle.
Horror can be so many things. Different things scare different people. Some people just like a gore fest. Others like their horror to be funny. Others more of a mystery. It doesn't matter, as long as you feel a little something it's all good. The horror films that do well with a broader audience tend to have a better story behind it, but that does not by any means, it will be loved by all horror fans. There's a niche audience for everything. My personal favorite is psychological horror. I wish I could write it, but I just don't have enough knowledge about the human psyche to be able to pull that off. I'm fascinated by the dark side of humans. To me, the only monsters out there are people. Vampires, werewolves, aliens, they don't scare me. Only a crazy human do.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 04:10:16 AM »
The article was designed to be funny I think.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 04:11:22 AM »
Horror can be so many things. Different things scare different people. Some people just like a gore fest. Others like their horror to be funny. Others more of a mystery. It doesn't matter, as long as you feel a little something it's all good. The horror films that do well with a broader audience tend to have a better story behind it, but that does not by any means, it will be loved by all horror fans. There's a niche audience for everything. My personal favorite is psychological horror. I wish I could write it, but I just don't have enough knowledge about the human psyche to be able to pull that off. I'm fascinated by the dark side of humans. To me, the only monsters out there are people. Vampires, werewolves, aliens, they don't scare me. Only a crazy human do.
WELL SAID.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 09:12:37 AM »
(IM TAKING COVERAGE ONLY ON ALL OF THESE)

1. Single Location/Set Scripts
2. Reality-Based Action/Fantasy Scripts
3. Badass Character-Driven Action/Thiller Scripts
4. Action/Adventure Scripts
5. Sci-Fi Sci-Fi/Fantasy Scripts
6. Thriller Scripts
7. dual Message Thriller Scripts
8. Dual Message Fantasy Scripts
9. Seeking R-Rated Comedy Scripts
10. Coming of Age Scripts
11. Tarantino-esque Action/Thriller Scripts

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Seeking Portuguese Writers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are looking for completed, feature-length scripts from writers who are fluent in Brazilian Portuguese. Submissions can be in any genre, and don’t necessarily have to be in Portuguese, we are just looking for writing samples from writers who are also fluent in the language. Please note we are not looking for scripts to option, just a writer to bring on board an existing project.

Budget has yet to be determined. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
Seeking Portuguese Writers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are looking for completed, feature-length scripts from writers who are fluent in Brazilian Portuguese. Submissions can be in any genre, and don’t necessarily have to be in Portuguese, we are just looking for writing samples from writers who are also fluent in the language. Please note we are not looking for scripts to option, just a writer to bring on board an existing project.

Budget has yet to be determined. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Damn, I cant speak Portuguese though I can get a Brazilian if that helps.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 02:07:13 AM »
Ok so I reread Dark Spaces by Jason Bortz. This is a sort of low budget 'Shining' but it's frankly more in that the right director could MAKE HISTORY with this. It's about the absence of light; all of the dark spaces rivet you as you read, because, well, we don't know what's IN the folds of darkness. Between that, and the creepiness of the 'appearance' of the Nanny and Warren the script is a solid story, very well told but in truth; IT'S A TALENTED DIRECTOR'S DREAM. Because if done right, IT WILL SCARE the pants off you! Next show, I talk about what writer Jason Bortz did correctly, and well here. MEANWHILE MY FORUM FRIENDS: yes, pitch me. Make it great. Enjoy YOUR process.
AS REEF SAYS:

1) a completed script - a final draft and as fault free as possible
2) coverage of consider or better - does it matter where this comes from? NO AS LONG AS THEY 'DO' THIS FOR THEIR FOOD NOT FLY BY NIGHTS.
3) a beat sheet - I'll need to work on this YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID, NAIL THEME, AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT YOU NAIL DIALOG.
4) logline and title - of course

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »
1. Creature Feature Scripts
2. Contained Thriller Scripts
3. Contained Horror Scripts
4. Contained Action Scripts
5. Seeking Surfing Scripts
6. Human Trafficking Scripts
7. Seeking Family or Faith Scripts