Author Topic: The most ridiculous...  (Read 780 times)

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
The most ridiculous...
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:17:42 AM »
My maiden thread....exciting. :)

Anyway, this is for members to express, and reveal, scenes, plot holes, killings, love lines etc etc that have simply been absurd. :-X

We all know them.

Why did I have  this idea.  ::)

Well today I walked past a surfing shop, surf boards etc in the window. Before you know it I was transported back to a Leathal Weapon film, possibly number 3, where a bad guy is killed using a surf board coming off the roof of a crashed van. The board somehow flies thought the air for a long distance, as planned by bad Mel, to kill the bady. ???

I loved the franchise, but even at the time I thought, lets hear it,  NOOOOOO :o

So - what film moment just doesn't work for you, and why?

Discuss. :-*

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
Re: The most ridiculous...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
I don't remember one from a movie off-hand, but I remember a scene I wrote when I was 13 that was so ridiculous that it's stayed with me all this time. It was a character death in a horror movie.

A group of characters are about to escape in a helicopter from the roof of a police station in a severe rainstorm (about six people total) when the pilot is attacked and killed. The remaining passengers try and hop out back to the roof as the helicopter hovers and sort of loses control. All make it out except for one to tries to jump out as the helicopter falls away. He hits his ribs on the edge of the roof and falls to the street below. Just then, the helicopter hits its main propeller which bursts apart and it crashes to the ground with one of the propellers stabbing him in the chest as the helicopter crushes him then explodes.

Let's face it. That was the most epic death I've ever written and I'm all but determined to use it in a story just 'cause. Lol.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
The board somehow flies thought the air for a long distance, as planned by bad Mel, to kill the bady. ???

Hey Bill, Have to say I will never forget the look on Mel Gibson's face when he approached the car and the surfboard was sticking out the front window. Great film.

An unforgettable scene/film for me would have to be the Blazing saddles "Fart Scene". As a young teenager I recall laughing for days after watching it and felt, at that time, it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. How times change !!!

Alex

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:27:01 PM by Alex »
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:33:41 AM »
Giving this a bump...should have more responses. We all know those stupid scenes, don't we?

So come on, what's been daft?

Another favourite of mine, well not really, is the ending of Hope Floats. Difficult to explain, except the final scene has nothing to do with the rest of the film - ridiculous. They just needed to wrap it up.

Other thoughts?

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
Well, if we want to talk about really ridiculous endings (if not everything else in the movie) then when can't leave out Sharknado which I very recently watched.

The end of this movie is hysterical when the hero, with a chain-saw, jumps into the open mouth of a Great White and proceeds to cut himself out of the shark from the inside.  Once out, he reaches back inside the shark and pulls out one of the supporting female characters who was was swallowed by a shark earlier.  Lucky them that it was the same shark.

However, it's moments like these, and there's a bunch of them, that make Sharknado the excellently bad movie that it is.   

Mo

• Word
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »
Recent examples that I've seen are Sunshine and Trace, surprisingly, both are directed by Danny Boyle and both of them have strange shifts of tone/story in the third act.

In Sunshine for those who have seen it, we get this philosophical 'light' obsession thing going on for the first and second act, even from the starting scene, it's established that the sun is some kind of unspoken deity and that it can almost interact with the characters. And I suppose this also matches with the introduction of Pinbacker but it was so unexpected that I just questioned the choice for the rest of the film. And really, the more I thought about it, I just couldn't help but think that Garland and Boyle lead themselves into a hole with the premise right from the start. I just can't think of anything good enough to replace their third act, what could've really happened? It was just a very strange plot choice, but I believe the film is a must see for screenwriters if you're interested in film structure.

And let's not even talk about the third act of Trance, I just roll my eyes thinking about it. It's a strange thing too since Boyle's direction is so strong in all his films that you kind of just ignore poor writing choices, I'm not sure how much writing control he had over both these films but it seems like a great amount if Trance and Sunshine suffered from the same poor third act twist. I do think he's absolutely great though, if I were to have any director for any of my scripts, it would be him.