Author Topic: Writing Challenge #11: The "Final Draft" Animated Challenge  (Read 2415 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator

The Final Draft “Animated” Challenge Commences July 12, 2014.

A Director approaches you and asks you to write a short screenplay between 5 and 12 pages long that incorporates “Animated Characters”. These could be either animated humans or animals (or both), though his only other requirement, is that your story has a Payoff that will knock his socks off.

The Genre is open though writers will need to properly format and provide a PDF file of their completed screenplay. 

The Winner will be decided after the end of the review period in August and will be awarded by the Writer Arena Moderators. An incredible PRIZE of one Gift Certificate redeemable for one free downloaded copy of Final Draft to the Writer Arena July Challenge Winner!
(Click on the logo to go to the Final Draft website)

IMPORTANT
Final Draft has also offered Writer Arena Members an amazing 30% Discount off the regular Final Draft purchase price. This offer will only be valid during the Writer Arena Challenge period from the 12th July 2014 until the 9th August 2014 and all members need to go to the Final Draft store where they will be required to input the purchase code “FDWA2014” during the purchase process. This is an HUGE saving and should you be contemplating the purchase of Final Draft, Now is the Time.

All experienced and beginners are encouraged to enter this challenge.

There will also be a Writer’s Choice winning screenplay, though NO prize will be awarded to this person…. Sorry.

The deadline is the 11th hour of August 9th 2014 GMT.

Please send the finished script to me (webmaster@writerarena.com) with WC11 as the subject and please include your Writer Arena user name, title, and logline in the email. The voting is anonymous so please do not include your name on the title page.

If you are not currently a member of “Writer Arena”, please join and participate as it is free and the prize is there for the taking.

Could all WA Members please share this post through social media as much as possible as future challenge prizes will depend on participation and exposure.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:32:28 PM by Writer Arena »

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
Re: Writing Challenge #11: The "Final Draft" Animated Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »
Shared links at Movie Poet, Scrrenplay gold mine, DVX user and trying at Writers forum Uk - if it works.

I suggest the Mods also think of useful threads to keep activity and attention.

I will post one shortly.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:08:11 PM »
And now Indie Talk

Let see if we all can spread the news and keep the place active

Cheers

dahwws@hotmail.com

• Punctuation
  • Be nice to me, I'm new here.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
I have a short script that I like and could be animated or live action, how specifically animated does it have to be?

joeg

• Punctuation
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:37:04 AM »
Only 1 entry?

Ocean

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 04:03:05 AM »
What kind of payoff? - a major twist of events, a revelation, etc. ?

Khamanna

• Word
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:47:51 AM »
This is a fun challenge. Too bad I'm leaving during this, but I'll be back in August and if I'm daring enough I'll write something in the last days. Can't promise anything though. Great challenge though -  I love all kind of animation...

Gregory Flothe

• Letter
  • Oh... the pain
    • Water Dragon Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »
I am very enthused about this contest and am already working on a storyboard. I heard about it through MoviePoet. Thanks for a good theme and a great prize.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
Good to see you all here.

Michael, the owner, will no doubt pop in soon and answer the questions.

Cheers

Bill

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »
- Any type of animation is fine.
- Multiple entries are permitted.
- A payoff that makes the reader satisfied.

MainShane

• Letter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
I have a question and I hope I'm not missing something incredibly obvious.  First, this is very generous of Final Draft and the further promotion of this site is of course a good thing.  Okay... so the prize is a copy of Final Draft.  But there is also an offer for a great discount on Final Draft.  So if one takes advantage of the offer, then the allure of the prize is diminished.  Which leads to a second question... I am already an FD9 user.  Besides the love of writing and the thrill of competition, what value does this prize hold?  Again, none of this is meant to be disrespectful to the generosity and sponsorship of Final Draft nor the hard work the moderators do to generate great competitions. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:35:43 AM by MainShane »

Gregory Flothe

• Letter
  • Oh... the pain
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 04:20:25 AM »
I was hoping that the winning script would get passed on by the moderators to the review board at Final Draft as well.
Could this be a carrot for those loyal customers who already own FD 9?

BTW, Final Draft's "Big Break" contest ends July 31:
http://store.finaldraft.com/big-break-contest.html

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
 Hey all,

I'm a bit late at joining in though have been extremely busy.

I do realise that some may already own FD, though my thoughts are, enter the challenge if you WIN, then the "Gift Certificate for a free FD download" can be given to a friend.

I think it can be registered in any name when you go online and do the download. Don't quote me on this though.

When the wining script has been selected then we will certainly forward the link to the kind people at Final Draft advising them that the Challenge has finished and giving them the associated links.

There has also been a question raised about what type of animation, and I think Michael has answered the question though expanding on that, I would give preference to a screenplay that does feel like the characters are animated. A couple of people just talking wont give the impression to the reader of animated characters whereas a talking dog... Well that's a different story.

I would like to read something fresh and exciting and as mentioned a payoff that will be very impacting and unpredictable.

Hope this helps.

Regards Alex

----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Darren Seeley

• Letter
  • I feel the need - the need for speed!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm in this one. I came real close to have something get made, however that was CGI animation in the vein of Titan AE or a modernized Heavy Metal type of flavor. Never came to pass though.

I'm also writing the 7wjer in the SS challenge.and I don't know if I'll have the time for this. Also--- I have FD8 so FD9 isn't a high incentive.

Gregory Flothe

• Letter
  • Oh... the pain
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 03:15:47 AM »
I've got a solid 8-pager, though I'm going to sit on it for a couple of weeks and see what it looks like. This is fun! Hope you'll like it.  8)