Author Topic: How much time do you spend on writing?  (Read 1816 times)

Pia

• Global Moderator
How much time do you spend on writing?
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »
Over the years, I have noticed that I spend more and more time on screenwriting. What used to be an hour or two every day is now about six. The weird thing is that I actually wish I had more. It's hard and like a really wild roller coaster ride emotionally. I still crave it. In fact, I think I'm addicted. Is that even possible?  What about you guys, how much time do you spend on writing every day?

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
Re: How much time do you spend on writing?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:17:57 AM »
I don't spend nearly as much time writing as I do thinking about it. But, it's a solid eight hours a day, total. Probably two in writing itself.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:14:55 PM »
Hey All,

"IT IS TAKING OVER MY LIFE"

I would have to say between browsing the threads, going through emails, reviewing scripts, then I finally get onto doing some writing.

All up probably 3-4 hours a day and that's over and above my normal working day of 10 hours.

----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
Generally at this time of the year, my writing time is cut back to around 5 hours a week. That, however is not actually writing, it's mostly time spent lying in bed thinking about my next idea rather than actually writing it. I'm a fast writer, so usually it takes me around an hour to kick back 10-15 pages... Badly written pages, but still pages.

At the moment, I'm not doing a lot of writing at all. Acting took over.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
I'm a fast writer, so usually it takes me around an hour to kick back 10-15 pages... Badly written pages, but still pages.

I wish I could do that in the worst way. I have all the time in the world and plenty of ideas but I can't crank them out like I wish I could...

Daniel Botha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
I wish I could do that in the worst way. I have all the time in the world and plenty of ideas but I can't crank them out like I wish I could...

By the time I actually get around to writing the script, I've usually been thinking about it for months and it pretty much pours out lol.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »
By the time I actually get around to writing the script, I've usually been thinking about it for months and it pretty much pours out lol.

That makes it even worse! Lol. I sit there and I go through every detail until I know it backwards and forwards and it still takes forever to get it down. "Christmas Story" took three years and I knew every detail of it. "Andretta" has taken seven and counting. I would trade my ideas for your ability to beat it out in a heartbeat. Lol. =)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:38:40 PM by Mr. Blonde »

Daniel Botha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
 :-[ You're making me blush :P

Like I said, the writing always needs a good clean up and it's usually only around ten pages. Anyway, I write scene-by-scene (One scene a day) so usually I don't even get to the ten page stage. Any scene longer than ten minutes is bound to be too long... Surely.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
One thing I have learned is that you just have to train yourself to write every day. Well, at least I do. I have to write a minimum of 5 pages/day or I'll beat myself sick over not accomplishing that.

I'm a slow writer. It takes me about one hour to write 2 pages. Not because I can't type faster, but I type a sentence. Delete it, rewrite it. Delete it again and rewrite it again.

And Sean, what was the film you modeled Christmas Story from? I've been asked to write something similar as far as the structure goes.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:00:48 AM »
And Sean, what was the film you modeled Christmas Story from? I've been asked to write something similar as far as the structure goes.

I've heard people suggest everything from Crash to Go to Babel to Pulp Fiction to Magnolia. It's actually based off the structure from 11:14.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 04:26:06 AM »
Thanks! I think it was Magnolia they mentioned.  :)

Mo

• Word
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
Don't forget 21 Grams! :)

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »
That's right. I forgot you mentioned 21 Grams... Lol. Point is, no one could decide what it was, even after I said so. Lol. =)

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
Hey All,

I have to admit, I have had times when I don't write for a couple of weeks and have ideas roll around in my head.

I then outlined the story/ideas in my head into notes as a guide.

I have had days where I have written 15-20 pages in a day and that includes going over them and fixing typos and errors. I can achieve this because I already know the scenes and outline of the story.

I do this continuously for a couple of days then have a break and think about the story more.
Thereafter I do a read and edit, whilst thinking of additional ideas to incorporate into this part and the upcoming parts.

A week later I may spend a couple more days doing 15-20 pages per day and "WELLA" a first draft emerges.

I really do find "TV" much easier to write as well.

Alex
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:41:30 AM by Alex »

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »
That's such a divided opinion I've seen between people (in regards to a pure outline). Kind of an interesting discussion to go over, the merits and the... de-merits, I guess. But, I would NEVER suggest rewriting as you go along. I did that for the longest time (I'm still guilty of it) and that's why it takes me so long. I just can't wrap my head around letting a mistake I know is there stay there. So, I would say that if you're doing a straight rough draft to get it on paper, edit nothing. Never hit backspace and, for the most part, never touch the mouse. Only bad things can come about from either one. Just my take, though, and what do I know? Lol. =)

As for TV, I agree completely. It is so much easier to set-up than screenwriting. But, it's almost an insane pursuit as things currently stand. Still, all screenwriters are insane. If we weren't, we wouldn't be screenwriters. Lol. =)