Author Topic: Babz Buzz 027  (Read 4350 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Babz Buzz 027
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
In this edition Babz talks about:

Writer Arena*
Plot Control 2.0
China Moon
Safe Men
Greg Williams
Beats
Contests to Market Ready
Through line
Super Objective
Scene Objective
Character Bios
Tiara-based Editing
Writing Subtext: What Lies Beneath by Linda Seger
Bates Motel
Hooks and how to find them
Low Budget Sci Fi
Marketing
The Accomplice
The Pot Thief Series by Jessie Michael Orenduff
Seth Green
Open Road Publishing
Robert Powers
Adaptations and Buy Outs
Hot
Irony
Town without Pity

Listen to the podcast here

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
Re: Babz Buzz 027
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »
Another great podcast, Babz.

Plot Control looks like an awesome wee program which might come in handy. When I can afford it, I'll get it... If I remember. In the mean time I'll try out the free version.

Great advice with the character bios. I didn't used to write up bios, until I read about it somewhere and thought I might give it a go. Knowing your characters is probably the most important thing for screenwriters, yet so many forget about it. How in-depth would you say your bios have to be before your characters start "talking to you"?

Very excited to be here.

Dan

Dave Troop

• Clause
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:46:47 AM »
 ???
Where am I?

Babz,
I will follow you to the ends of the Earth.  But Writer's Arena?

Just kidding.  Good luck to everyone here at the new place.

Babz, great show.  Thanks for all the info on character bios.  Vital.

Okay, time to get back to writing.

Peace

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
???
Where am I?

Babz,

What you talking about, Dave?  Writer Arena is THE place.  :D :D :D

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
Another great podcast, Babz.

Plot Control looks like an awesome wee program which might come in handy. When I can afford it, I'll get it... If I remember. In the mean time I'll try out the free version.

Great advice with the character bios. I didn't used to write up bios, until I read about it somewhere and thought I might give it a go. Knowing your characters is probably the most important thing for screenwriters, yet so many forget about it. How in-depth would you say your bios have to be before your characters start "talking to you"?

Very excited to be here.

Dan

WELCOME! Thank you for the kind words. BABZ

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
???
Where am I?

Babz,

Just kidding.  Good luck to everyone here at the new place.

Babz, great show.  Thanks for all the info on character bios.  Vital.

Okay, time to get back to writing.

At your service! BABZ
Peace

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 02:14:53 AM »
Oh, good ol' Babz doin' her thing in a new venue.

What to say, what to say? Well, your First Ten didn't hook me like I was hoping for. I liked the Opening Image and the Theme was solid, but it didn't have that pop I was jonesing for. But, you turned on the juice in the Second Act and the Midpoint shift was brilliant. The story got kinda muddled in the ending, so I was left a bit unsatisfied, but overall, another solid showing.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »
Sorry to hear that, but you are sharp; tell ya why. As soon as we were about to tape, my mike didn't work so we had to use ambient sound. And for about two weeks I'd been subjected to this freakish Sacramento wind tantrum and thus, nose, eyes and throat; not on point.

Will try to do better next time.
Promise.
Keep listening.
 ;D bb

MainShane

• Letter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
Glad to join you in your new digs.  As I explore this site, I just got an e-mail telling me one of my short scripts is going to be an episode of myteevee.tv's first original web series.  So good karma already from hanging out here. 

Shane

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
Great news Shane.  Welcome to the site and yes, it is good Karma. :)

EdBeach

• Letter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:49:35 AM »
Can't help with the wind or allergies. But I can highly recommend the Sennheiser HDM-600 headset with the adjustable mic.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 03:46:06 AM »
Glad to join you in your new digs.  As I explore this site, I just got an e-mail telling me one of my short scripts is going to be an episode of myteevee.tv's first original web series.  So good karma already from hanging out here. 

Shane

HOLLA

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 05:42:08 AM »

Shane

Welcome to the site, Shane! That's awesome news. I was going to enter for the same web-series, myself. Alas, a few things got in my way. Congrats and good luck.

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
IMPORTANT: A FAN OF THE SHOW phoned me and said 'HE'S SHOPPING MY STUFF TO STUDIOS. NO OPTION. HELP.'
Ok:  PRINT THIS OUT, PLEASE :-0)
1. if a prod does NOT VET YOU ("HI WRITER, PROVE TO ME YOU OWN the words you wrote so I can shop you") he's NOT, repeat NOT FOR REAL. The first thing a prod does TO ME IS "hey babz, need proof that the writer wrote what I want." We don't get to go past, well 'go' and collect $200 unless we can prove that, ok?
2. "shop to studios" - PRODS BRING deals to them to distribute. Notice the 'studios' as we know them are pretty much clearing houses for the product prods bring to them they are in short, an umbrella for the film. The PROD scores A DISTRIBUTION deal with a studio. So the better way to say this "a prod is shopping for money to get my SCRIPT SET UP."
3. slow down. What is the hurry? I need to know. Please tell me. No one is in more of a hurry than me for you, but there is the right way and the wrong way to do something. The road is littered with writers who can tell you about the variety of high hope scams that have been run.
4. Trust me; I've been intellectually raped. You do not want this to happen to you that said, I AM BLESSED it happened to me the way in which it did. I have the right kind of professional callous so I can move ahead for my agency and our clients.
5. ALWAYS email or call me BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING. My goodness, that is why I'm here. I'm at your service.
BABZ

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:32:44 AM »
RIP RAY HARRYHAUSEN.