Author Topic: Screenwriting Style.  (Read 1436 times)

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
Re: Screenwriting Style.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
To be honest, I can't really fault you for that. After all, you're finding success anyway, so more power to you. I'm still open to reviewing your stuff (although I don't think I'm your target audience) even if you decide along that course... =)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »
You're very nice!  <3

But yeah, my target audience isn't very big, but those who do seem to like "my style" seem to like enough.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
Style is something people get used to.  Lots of people don't like my scripts when they first start reading them.  After a while they seem to get used to it and some go on to really like them - once they "get" how I tell a story.  There isn't one way.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »
I used to be told my scripts were fast reads. To my knowledge, I have not changed my writing style, but I've recently been told I way overwrite... Phil said I should be able to shave 15 pages off my last 7WC script. I've read it several times and have written two more drafts and I could not find that many pages to trim.   :-/

Don't take me wrong, Phil and I are good friends. It just came as a surprise to me that I'm overwritten that much. Two other people said the same thing btw.

Hey Pia, everyone is entitled to their opinion though it doesn't mean they're right.
Trust in yourself and your experience and do what you feel it right and you'll nail it.

Doubting yourself comes with the territory. Dig deeper and your experience will see you through.

Regards Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
Most overwrite somewhere in their scripts on a first draft, the difference is, if you know screenwriting, then it's fixed in the rewrite.

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »
Lots of things to comment on:

Pia - I wouldn't say you over write, most of your work is pretty lean. However, there is a difference between the word count required in a scene (did you write it as succinct a spossible) and the number of scenes required (could you have the same affect with fewer scenes?)

I aspire to be a lean style of writer so I am trying to pay attention to both.  The advice of "combining two scenes into one", appeals to me, just not sure I have applied it much.

Writing style - when I started this confused me. One minute it seemed fine to have one word sentences when describing something, the next minute people are criticised for staccato writing. Like others have mentioned I  try and blend them now, with the shortened structure used after it is set up..

Word use - one point made to me recently is to have fun with the word variety to help and improve the read. Not my strong point. For example, instead of the Gunman charges through the crowd, He barrels through. Instead of he looks back, he casts a look, instead of he smiles, a smile creeps across his face etc etc etc

Of course different words could be slotted in, the point being to spice up the read, something I need to do.

We could almost start a thread for useful words and phrases, or maybe decent descriptions we come across. After all we are often describing a similar event on screen, 'he turns around' for example.

Character descriptions - write what you can see on screen. Yeah, right. Not with these babies it appears. The description of the lead in the Gangster squad script included a quote from General Patton!! The question is how far.

My feature I am writing - currently before the vomit draft - has a tentative description of a 'playful' woman, for want of a better description. I end her character description with the phrase 'the devils mistress'. Now you don't have the context here but clearly this is not a fact that could be proven, or indeed seen on screen. I will have to judge later whether to keep or amend but, and here is the point I have taken, with features, if you want to get noticed, don't worry about tying to push the envelope to get the message across, as long as the rest is sound. My opinion...until I change it.

All food for thought.

Mr. Blonde

• Sentence
  • The Bishop of Battle
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:20 AM »
Here's the thing, as I see it. Write how it's comfortable to you. Because, if you find someone who's willing to make your stuff and take you on (and who likes your writing style), you're probably going to have to write similar to that for most of your career.

There's always going to be someone out there who has a particular taste; regular sentences, flowery prose, short, single-word sentences, no verbs, etc. All you have to do is match up a story someone likes with a reader who wants to sit through a script written in that style.

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 03:33:29 AM »
I just started reading scripts again at MP and it's funny how you can tell right away who is new to screenplay writing. It can be a great story though and that's really what matters in the long run, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:35:03 AM by Pia »

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »
Yes, I had forgotten what it was like to read a batch of scripts at MP.  There are certainly a few that fit the bill of new screenplay writer.