Author Topic: Those who can't do Teach !!!!  (Read 1122 times)

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
Those who can't do Teach !!!!
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »

Hey All,

I have always been a strong believer of "Those who can't do Teach" and have recently
received so many emails of PAID podcasts teaching "How to be a successful screenwriter"
or "What you need to know in Hollywood to make it big" etc. etc. etc.......

I have searched these people to find they have achieved very little and most of the time
they do not have any credits in the area of screenwriting or film !!!!!

They may have accumulated much experience over the years and are undertaking podcasts or writing blogs,
in order to get their name out there, or even just simply to pay the bills. 

Just wondering If you guys have tuned into any of these PAID podcasts and what you thought of the presenter and the content?

Regards Alex
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Pia

• Global Moderator
Re: Those who can't do Teach !!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
I have seen an increase in these emails as well. I always delete them. They scream of money making effort schemes to me. I'm sure they are well intended, but...

IMHO, those who can't do, teach, those who can't even teach, critique...

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
I have seen an increase in these emails as well. I always delete them. They scream of money making effort schemes to me. I'm sure they are well intended, but...

IMHO, those who can't do, teach, those who can't even teach, critique...

Thanks Pia, Wow strong words.

I feel if these people have any credits to their names, then they would be out there writing not trying to make money from "Would-Be" screenwriters. Shame Shame Shame on them !!!!

What's worse, is companies like Final Draft sending out emails to promote them !!!!! Why would they ???

Alex

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
Aw man...

I've always been on the fence when it comes to listening to people who haven't actually got experience in screenwriting themselves, but still try to tell others how to write.

I say this partly in defense of teachers. Any teacher out there, whether they teach high school kids, screenwriters or the elderly, still has an opinion that is worth listening to. I'll use my mother as an example, which may seem a little weak. Mum is a high school music teacher. When she was younger she was offered music scholarships from some of the best and most prestigious music schools in South Africa (my place of origin). She didn't become a teacher because she is incapable of being good, she chose to teach because that is truly where she belongs. Since she was young that's all she ever wanted to do. Could she have been a concert pianist? Yes. Sometimes, when it feels right, you have to give up what may seem like the better option purely because you're passionate about a certain path. Mum's passionate about teaching. In her mind, she's living the dream.

This is partly why I always get a little insulted when I see writers in communities make the assumption that screenwriting instructors, story consultants or script readers are failed writers. Yes, it is a possibility, but what if that "failed writer" CHOSE to go that path? What if their true goal in life is not to be a part of a talented group, but nurture that group?

If there's one thing I know about teachers, the truly good ones are not the ones who have failed... They're the ones who grew up wanting to be a teacher. They're the ones who are trained at not necessarily earning success themselves, but nurturing success in their students.

The people who run these podcasts COULD be failed writers. However, if they are failed writers and they're teaching because they have to, then that will soon become obvious. You can pick up vibes from teachers and you probably will know if they don't want to be there. That's where you walk away and stop listening.

Don't write teachers off for any reason. I firmly believe that teacher's know how to handle potential, even if they don't personally get there themselves. How do I know this? Mum's seen many of her students reach success, most of them being students that she had faith in. She could have been a full-time professional concert pianist by now. It was her own choice to teach, not because she's incapable.

Cheers,

Dan
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:08:57 PM by Daniel Botha »

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Don't get me wrong, I feel there is a big difference between qualified teachers and these people.

Many people train for years to become teachers and have a passion for it, though most of these people became
screenwriters and moved on to this, possibly to gain a name in the industry or simply for the money.

They do not have any formal qualifications and I really would not classify them as teachers in the sense of the word.

Alex

Pia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:39:15 PM »
Well said Alex. I have nothing against teachers. My comment was in regards to people that have failed at, in this case, screenwriting and then decide to make some money instead teaching others how to write. I've met other people like this in other fields too. Especially in the horse business.

I went to a film festival in Miami and they had some seminars on screenwriting. I thought I'd sit in on one of these. Turns out the guy giving the lecture had written and self published a book on screenwriting. The posters said he was going to be the next big thing in screenwriting. The next big guru. I've never heard of him since. He was a former studio reader, had written a few screenplays, but never sold anything or had anything produced. The things he talked about was VERY much like a class for kindergartners. Complete beginners, people that have never written anything.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:41:09 PM by Pia »

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
Wait. You mean, I could be making money doing this? LOL. I kid. I would much rather make money on the SALE/OPTION/DEAL. b

Eoin

• Punctuation
  • Man, know thyself, writer, know thy character.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:27:25 PM »
I think it depends . . . In life, you shouldn't generalise, assess each person on their own merits. There are people who teach (or perhaps preach) without any practical experience across a whole range of disciplines.

If what they say has been quantified and is correct, does it lend any extra weight to know they have been through the mill themselves? Well, that's for you to justify . . .

There are those who have done it, but their ability to impart that knowledge, or articulate it in any form, is terrible.

And then there are those have seen it all, put in the hard slog and also have great teaching ability.

In relation to the online screenwriting courses and aggressive advertising, yes, there has been a lot of it of late. When the promise of their premise is a lot like steroid bloated bodybuilders pushing pills that are about as useful as a spoonful of sugar, I tend to hit the delete button . . .

denamckinnon

• Word
  • Be nice, or I'll turn you into a frog.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:35:21 PM »
I delete most of the emails not because I discount them all, but because I'm a starving artist right now. I think a lot of the teachers...even though they not be produced, can teach us a GREAT deal. I never turn away from anything I can learn and if there are free classes....you bet I'd be there. I did sign up to do some phone conference thing once, but I forgot about it! I love learning...it's applying what I learn that sometimes doesn't come out on paper. I think I could be a forever student possibly. If it wasn't for Kevin Lenihan...he learns so much and thankfully passes some of it down to me. Grateful for any FREE education!!! :) Write on!

Manowar

• Letter
  • Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:05:05 AM »
I look at it like this:

My math teacher in high school wasn't good enough to be a mathematician, but good enough to teach me the basics of arithmetic, algebra, and co-sine. My science teacher wasn't good enough to be a scientist, but good enough to teach me the basics of Periodic tables, basic physics, etc.

That's how I look at all these alleged "gurus" of writing. They've been in the game enough (usually as struggling writers themselves) that they are good at teaching you the basics of writing--though sometimes they are so formulaic you risk being taught cliche writing. I'm on the fence about them. When I was just starting out with my first foray into SP writing I did attend some of their seminars, read some of their books. Most say pretty much the same things, but then others contradict each other so it was very confusing. I do recall the worst (or most fun) question to ask them was "So... what SP of yours has been produced?"

Cue the instructor COUGHING into his fist and looking mildly embarrassed and aggravated as if to say, "How dare you ask?" Truth is, Robert Towne and Shane Black were the only two lecturers I had who had made it as writers, and the rest had NOTHING produced. Some may have claimed to "work with studios" whatever that means, or have had SPs optioned (for what, a buck?). Point is, they do serve a purpose when you start out, but there's no need to continually rely on them for advice as they are part of a multimillion-dollar cottage industry that services unproduced screenwriters and haven't had anything of their own produced.

Learn from them. Then figure out where they went wrong, I guess, by looking at produced writers and real agents for advice that will get you over the hump. I prefer blogs and seminars from peeps who have actually been in the trenches like John August, Miss Snark, and dare I say, Babz. You know, real-life scientists instead of those that give you the basics of photosynthesis.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:07:13 AM by Manowar »

Nybabz

• Babz
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »
I would not take the money to do Babz Buzz even if I could. I would however take money if someone offered me a local radio show as I would more than likely in return allowing sponsors to reach customers. As long as I have time and you all want me here I will be here.