Author Topic: Is this OK?  (Read 626 times)

Daniel Botha

• Yes, I have four faces.
  • Global Moderator
Is this OK?
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »
I've had one of my screenplays posted to an online bookstore without my permission. Here is the link: http://www.muebooks.com/search.php?q=Strangers+Come+at+Night

The admin of this website is not attempting to sell my screenplay, but when you go to the download link, they ask for credit card details. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal and I now suspect my screenplay is one of many being used for some sort of online scam. I can't be sure what's going on. I don't want to give out my details and I certainly don't want my work published to other sites without my permission. It may seem like an over-reaction to some, but I figured if I refuse to tolerate it now, I will benefit later on when something serious happens with my work. I have not endorsed this posting and I'd like to see my screenplay taken down. I've also discovered that the website hosts books that should cost money available for free download, such as "The Power of One" which isn't on free domain yet. This means that if I did send an email it would likely be ignored.

What are my legal rights? Are they permitted to post my screenplay without my permission, or am I justified in sending them an email to take it down? I'm not comfortable with this. It may be a short screenplay, but this is something I don't tolerate and never will tolerate. I'm unlikely to get any money for the script anyway, but I try to take things like this seriously.

Help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Having read further into it, the site provides free downloads for material that should be Copyright Protected. Novels have also fallen victim to these free downloads, including the Harry Potter Series. Not sure there's much I can do.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:42:40 PM by Daniel Botha »

Alex

• SubAdmin
  • One Stressed Pussy
    • Alex Sarris - Screenwriter
Re: Is this OK?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »

How do you know it's your screenplay ? have you accessed it ? Maybe it is the same title ?

If it is your screenplay, is it a short or feature and is it registered for copyright ?

Alex

PS still waiting for the scan !!!
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.
----------------------------------------------------
It takes 15 years to be an "Overnight Success"

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT ME.

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 03:43:26 PM »
Send an email telling them you would not like your work posted on their site.  Either they will take it off or they won't - but they aren't going to take it off if you don't ask.  If you want to make a fuss about it you can also have a lawyer send a cease and desist letter to them.   They may or may not pay attention if it's from a law firm.   

The other thing you can do is avoid posting to sites where your scripts are freely available to the public.  Like if you post in the Perfect board here then only members can see that script or download it.   Setups like that prevent asset gathering from companies like the one above.  The basic practice is if it's available to the public on the original site then you can post a link to it on yours.   

Generally and politely, another website will use the original link and/or acknowledge where they got the asset from (if you look at the Writer Arena script search you will notice it does both).   If this were the case with the page you posted above then you should be able to remove the script from wherever it's posted and their link won't work.

However, some websites do copy work if they are less than scrupulous.  I think probably the link you posted falls into the the less than scrupulous category. 

Reef Dreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »
I'll be interested in what this is.

I went into it and searched for a couple of my scripts and the pdf's popped up, not that I could down load them. Then I tried random letters that could have no meaning and low and behold the PDF of this was available.

Looks like they are making them up to get credit card details, but you never know.

Mo

• Word
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:08:01 AM »
Uhhh, Bill's got it on the money. These are just shit versions of ads that basically just take your search result and link to the same "Gimme your credit card" link. Hence the "Sponsored High Speed Downloads", this is a guarantee on every dodgy website and I seriously recommend not clicking that. In actuality, there are no search results and when there are no search results, you simply get what we have above. Just type in gibberish and you'll get the same thing. Very common on the internet. Saying it again but you'll see this specific format on a hundred other dodgy websites so it's always a big red flag.