Author Topic: Assault on Wall Street  (Read 668 times)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
Assault on Wall Street
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
Being that this is a Uwe Boll movie - and I mean he wrote and directed it - I wasn't looking forward to watching this flick.  Not that I've watched a large amount of his movies, just that, well, he doesn't have the best reputation. 

I was surprised to find that this was a somber sort of film, reminiscent of Taxi Driver.   It's an Occupy Wall Street fantasy revenge sort of scenario where a generally good intentioned blue collar guy who is knocked around by the financial system decides to get some payback in the form of blood.  It wasn't a bad movie but it could have delivered more than it did. 

The screenplay was a fairly by the book affair and as such it was a tad on the predictable side.  For example, it was obvious from the beginning what it was going to take to knock this guy over the edge so when it happened - it wasn't that surprising.   It did have some surprises in what a thoughtless and uncaring way the supporting character did their deed.  He had to sleep in that bed (you'll get it if you see the movie). 

One odd thing Boll did in a couple of scenes was to make them longer than they really needed to be.  There's one scene in particular that just bugged me and it was a joke telling scene.  I really didn't think he needed to spend as much time on it as he did.

As far as the cast goes, I felt the main actor was a bit on the wooden side - like he was a graduate of the Schwarzenegger school of acting.  He actually came across a bit better than that and other than him the acting was par.  There were a few vets in this movie,  John Heard and Eric Roberts to name two and that added a bit to it's credibility though neither had a large role.

The real problem with this movie lies in the end.  First off, we know this guy is going to wallop Wall Street but for a while during the film we figure he's going to go after reasonable villains - the ones that actually caused his misfortune.  You know, like he's going to have a bit of a code about it - something we can have some respect for.  But instead, after a few well targeted kills,  the guy starts killing all these people that are kind of incidental (or maybe better thought of as pawns).    And Boll knows he's doing this because he pauses the action just before this starts happening - like it's a conscious decision by this guy to start shooting people who maybe deserve it and maybe don't. 

Then he goes on his shooting rampage of a Wall St office - which in an of itself is a questionable choice by Boll considering what's been happening in the states.  And after all that the guy doesn't even directly kill the Boss Monster.  But what tops it off is that the gentleman gets away with it - aided by his police friends.   I'd really like to know what Boll is trying to say with this movie because it all seemed a bit corrupt morally.

That and he waits until the last fifteen minutes of such a drama-infested movie to start the action and that's almost unforgivable.

Should you see it, shouldn't you?   I'm afraid that you'll have to decide this one for yourself.           

Pia

• Global Moderator
Re: Assault on Wall Street
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:59:38 AM »
Might check that one out if I can find it. You usually steer me in a good direction when it comes to movies.   8)

Writer Arena

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
Pia, I don't know that I'm exactly recommending this film but I suppose if you're interested in seeing a Uwe Boll film this is likely one of his better films to see.

tailbest

• Word
  • The Count of Monte Fisto
    • Random Goodness
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 12:43:01 AM »
I've seen enough from my favorite German mad scientist, Dr. Boll that I can't see myself visiting any of his other creations. Though, on the flip side, the few reviews that I have read about this film say it is completely different than most of the garbage...I mean films that he has made in the past.
Why don't we just...wait here for a little while...see what happens?
Why don't we just...wait here for a little while...see what happens?